Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Problems with a 59-G761

Okay guys, I'm a novice. I acquired a G761 radio the other day at a thrift store. It powers on, the clock works, as does the dial, and both speakers seem to work, but nothing but static comes through them. I'm not sure what's wrong, but know its probably something simple. After reading through the threads a bit, I realise its probably something to do with the antenna.

Any suggestions? If you need pictures or better descriptions, I'd be happy to provide! Thanks!

If you could shoot a pic of the inside I'll give it a go.
It's a bit new to be able to get any free service info.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

New? Its 53 years old-- but I get it, compared to the others I've seen posted up here.

I picked it up because I'm doing a retro kitchen design, and its in great shape. And it was only $15. I love the fifties.

I posted the pics up on my fbook-- here's the link straight to the album.

Click me!

Yeah most of the stuff we fool with here is from late 1920's thru the early 50's Well everything looks OK. The antenna on this set is on the back cover. Sometimes wires come loose from it. Double the connections there. You can try wiggling the tubes a bit to see if you have a bad connect there. Short of that that's going to be about it without using some test gear to doing some troubleshooting.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah, we figured that's what's on the back cover there. Looks like its a bit loose, but I'll double check them just to be safe. Once I found this site and started reading about the tubes, I took them all out and put them back in. I'll admit I know less than nothing about this kind of stuff, but I love it. Is there a way to clean the connections, with rubbing alcohol or something like that?

In any case, thanks for the help. I'll continue to read around. You guys are pretty awesome. My dad builds custom arcade machines and tons of stuff like this-- but I haven't been into electronics since I was a kid.