Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

atwater kent model 70 filter caps

Hi Guy's,
Have picked up a 1930 atwater kent model 70 today.
Guy I bought it from said he replaced all the caps and resistors,but not the filter caps.Guess they checked good.
I did a little research,and apparently these filter caps are non-polarized and mounted inside soldered cans.
Anyone know an easy way to get these cans apart and replace the caps?
Or,should I leave it alone as long as its working good.
Cabinet is in good shape,so I figured it's probably worth the $70 he wants for it.
Thanks
murf

(03-03-2012, 01:36 PM)murf Wrote:  Hi Guy's,
Have picked up a 1930 atwater kent model 70 today.
Guy I bought it from said he replaced all the caps and resistors,but not the filter caps.Guess they checked good.
I did a little research,and apparently these filter caps are non-polarized and mounted inside soldered cans.
Anyone know an easy way to get these cans apart and replace the caps?
Or,should I leave it alone as long as its working good.
Cabinet is in good shape,so I figured it's probably worth the $70 he wants for it.
Thanks
murf

When I really want a challenge or am REALY board I'll replace those caps.

One day those caps are going to fail, but, as compared to many radios of that vintage, a lot of the AK filter caps seem to be OK. So, many people leave them alone. And, if you don't intend to use it much and never leave the room while it is on, that is probably ok. On the bright side they are not as hard to get to as an AK 40 or the like.

Some people will ad filter caps under the chassis and leave the old cans where they are. I do not like my old radios to look like they have been worked on, so all of mine need to be replaced within the old cans. My only firm suggestion would be, not to do anything you can't undo later, like throw them away.

I use a torch to take the cans apart. DO THIS OUTSIDE. There will be smoke. The faster you move the better. Heating too much will burn the plating off of the can, and, did I mention the smoke from the old wax?
I have also used a heat gun on high, it will melt solder.

I have never replaced any of the caps in the 70 I have, and you are right, the AK filter caps do seem to age well.
That being said, I would not challenge the set with hours of daily playing. I play mine several times a week, but limit the time.

If you have to or decide to restuff the filter can use a toaster oven or a hot plate and bake it out slowly, playing with a propane torch is just asking for trouble you don't need.
Regards
Arran

(03-04-2012, 01:48 AM)Arran Wrote:  If you have to or decide to restuff the filter can use a toaster oven or a hot plate and bake it out slowly, playing with a propane torch is just asking for trouble you don't need.
Regards
Arran

Thanks for the info Arran,
Think I will leave it alone for now.
Any idea why it won't pick up some of the local stations?
Picks up a few,but not as many as it should.
Is it hard to align this set?
Or is there something else I should be looking at?
Have a great day.
murf

(03-04-2012, 01:48 AM)Arran Wrote:  If you have to or decide to restuff the filter can use a toaster oven or a hot plate and bake it out slowly, playing with a propane torch is just asking for trouble you don't need.
Regards
Arran

And if you put it in your toster oven I hope that you never intend to put food in it again.

I agree with all, freeing up the innards of old filter caps and even worse, potted transformers can be a dangerous, frustrating, and absoluetely wretching experience. First of all, safety glasses. Please. Outside, yes, always. No flip flops and t shirts need apply. You can't always predict where they will burst, and it may not be where the "safety" vents are. And of course you will permanently pollute any cooking appliance like a toaster oven.

But it is fun.

As far as your reception goes, the 70 has two antenna jacks, one for local and one for distant. One of the toggle switches in the control panel controls which antenna jack the radio is using. I have my antenna hooked up to the distant jack and just listen from there.

(03-06-2012, 01:42 PM)TA Forbes Wrote:  As far as your reception goes, the 70 has two antenna jacks, one for local and one for distant. One of the toggle switches in the control panel controls which antenna jack the radio is using. I have my antenna hooked up to the distant jack and just listen from there.

Your right.I figured that out,but I still think it could pull in more stations than it does.
Otherwise,works good.

Thanks
murf

(03-05-2012, 12:17 PM)codefox1 Wrote:  I agree with all, freeing up the innards of old filter caps and even worse, potted transformers can be a dangerous, frustrating, and absoluetely wretching experience. First of all, safety glasses. Please. Outside, yes, always. No flip flops and t shirts need apply. You can't always predict where they will burst, and it may not be where the "safety" vents are. And of course you will permanently pollute any cooking appliance like a toaster oven.

But it is fun.

You need to soften it enough to pull out the contents not liquify every last blob of wax and tar in the can in fact if it melts too much that makes it messier and harder to remove. But to avoid any issues use a second hand hot plate or toaster oven, although with a hot plate I don't really know how you would foul it anyhow since it's basically an open electric heating element like a stove would have.
Regards
Arran

Finished AK pics. Works like a new radio. Decided to leave the filter caps alone.

[Image: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509...th_ak1.jpg]

[Image: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509...th_ak2.jpg]
Murf