Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

39-31XF

I just had my Philco 39-31XF chassis restored. No static where restoration took place about 90 miles from my home. Of course they had all the proper equipment and antennas to make the repair and conduct appropriate tests!! Now I am getting a static hum on most stations. Of course the antenna for this radio is a 10 gauge copper wire that is stapled to the perimeter of the box, in a loop fashion, but I have only temporarily placed a wire on the antenna screw and run it up the inside house wall. What should I do to improve the reception and get rid of the hum?? Should I run a longer wire outside to the top of the roof and attach it to a metal rod?? Next to the antenna screw is a ground screw. Does a wire have to be attached to the ground as well for better reception? Please help!!

Jimy

A good ground may take care of your hum problem. You can also you try unplugging the set and turning the plug around the other way and replugging in.
The antenna consists or a piece of wire, gauge is not too important just so it isn't easily broken. As long and as high outdoors you can get it.
Terry
ps You may want to send Ron a pic of it he doesn't have one in the Gallery.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you, I will give your suggestions a try. I also noticed that this morning around 7am,
that with no adjustments being made when I turned on the radio, I had numerous stations coming in? Later in the early afternoon, again my radio lost many stations, but around 5pm it picked up many more, once again. At last try around 9:30 pm, again I lost most programming?? Any advice anybody!!!!

Jimy