Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1262 No Sound!

Hi, I'm new here, and I appreciate all of the info so far.

I purchased a 48-1262 a few days ago. I carefully turned it on using the light bulb method, and was surprised that everything worked properly. It got great reception and great sound.

Over the next few hours I turned the radio on and off 6 or so times. The last time, I turned it off and ran some erands. When I came back about an hour later, I turned the radio on but got no sound at all. No static, or hum, just pure silence.

The light bulb for the display works. The tubes all glow. There were no pops, smoke or anything else to indicate something bad had happened.

I am in the proscess of finding a tube checker (send me a message if you have one for sale), and getting the materials together to do a full cap and resistor change. I am an electrical engineer and have experience reading schematics, soldering, using a multi meter, etc.

Although this no sound problem could be alot of things, and I'm sure you can not diagnose something you can not see, what could be the potential causes of this, and where should someone start to diagnose this issue?

All of your responses will be appreciated.

Pure guess is best we can do at this point, but we do try.

Without proper restoration you have probably at least toasted a resistor in the voltage divider system which was feeding a failing capacitor. Don't power up again until a proper recap job is done.

Agreed. I am in the proscess of getting everything together that I will need for the recap and resistor replace. Hopefully that will take care of no sound.

If anyone else has any other guess it would be appreciated also.

While I'm at it, let me ask all of you this. I also have a 40-180 that needs a recap. Is there any parts supply out there where I can tell them what radio I have and have them send me a recap "kit" that would have all the caps I need for my particular radio? Or, do I have to do it the old fashined way and count up how many of each cap value I need by looking in the chasis or the wiring diagram?

Unfortunately, one has to do it the old fashioned way. John

John R Wrote:Unfortunately, one has to do it the old fashioned way. John

No big deal, just a little extra work.

Anybody have some good advice on where a beginner can get a decent tube tester? Preferably for under a billion dollars? Icon_biggrin

If your really serious about tube testers check this Hickok out. Not cheap but Brent is honest.
http://www.audiotubes.com/test547a.htm

I have no affiliation with this listing, and don't care for E-pay too much but.... I have this same tester and once it is calibrated it works great and is far less expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-VINTAGE-HICK...829wt_1270

Glenn

As a beginner in radio restoration I do not need anything fancy. What is a good price for a basic tester that will do the job. It will be used to check tubes periodicaly for my own personal projects.

Is there hope to get a basic model for $100 or so? Or, am I way off in my pricing? I would appreciate some advice on pricing so I do not get fleeced.

Forget the tube tester. While I bought a Precision 10-12 off eBay back in the beginning (4 years ago) that works fine for, IIRC, less than $50, it's basically an emission tester type. Your DVOM can do the filaments. The times that I've replaced a tube that "tests" WEAK or REPLACE, it has made no difference in performance. Go figure! I still dutifully test every tube for fun, though. I just did a Philco 40-180 and it works great. To get to one electrolytic and another cap, the push button assembly nicely lifts out with all the wires and there's lots of room to work. P/M me with any questions.

The 40-180 i'm not worried about, it's the 48-1262 that looks like it is going to be a pain. It is a gigantic rat's nest of parts, and that is how it came from Philco. Everything in there is running every which way and it is very cramped.

DK, if the tester isn't that important, maybe you should let me take it off your hands Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin Icon_biggrin !