Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting started on a 47-1230

Greetings, all. Phantastic phorum you have here. Tons of information, and that may be the problem... I got my wife a 47-1230 for Christmas... It turns on and hums, but that is it... so now I'm ready to REALLY make it hum. Icon_biggrin

Where do I get started? I've read about changing out the caps, but there are some wires that are loose in the back, and would like to overhaul the whole thing, but can't find a simple starting point.

Help!

Hi HELP,
Welcome to the Phourm!!
I took a quick look at the diagram and I've got your work cut out for you. I guess the simplest starting place is to go though the parts list and mark down+order the paper and electrolytic caps. The hum you are hearing is more than likely coming from the electrolytic caps in the power supply. Install new caps and then we can go through and do some troubleshooting if we need to.
GL
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Welcome to the Phorum!
Just listen to Terry...he's the best! Icon_thumbup He sure has your work cut out for you. Icon_wink

I have a 47-1230 too.

I also had a hum when I got it, and it didn't come only from the power electrolitics; there are quite a few caps in the amp section that can be replaced for an increased audio quality.

The first step into restoring this radio really is to get the appropriate set of replacement capacitors. There's quite a lot of paper capacitors to change.

-Mars