Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

can you add a line in to a 40-190?

is there any way to add a line in to this model? i see that there's a pre-set on the back panel for a phono line, but i don't understand how to hook up. any words of wisdom?
nat

I'm not familiar with this model, but I would think that the phono input would work as a line input, since the cartridges made in those days were much higher output than later day magnetic cartridges that reqired a preamp.

In all liklihood (correct me if I'm wrong), the input jack is not an RCA-type - it's probably a three pin jack that's long obsolete. You could probably convert it to an RCA with no problem. It shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Good luck!

Bill

Sent from my Pentium II on the AT&T Dial Network

thanks for the response, Bill, but there's no input jack on the back. there are 7 flathead screws that you can loosen or tighten. i gather from other discussions that you adjust the presets by tightening those screws.

at first i thought that i could loosen the screw, thread an rca wire under it, and tighten it back up, so it stayed in place. but once i did that, i had no knob to turn to 'phono' so i can't figure out how to convince the radio to accept a line in.

but it has that 'phono' preset on the back panel, so there must be a way! thanks for your help though...

nat

Hi Nat,
Looking at the schematic there is no hook-up for a phono.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/339/M0013339.htm
The screws on the back are station presets for the pushbuttons on the front of the radio. You push a button then you turn the screws to select a station for that button. One is a coarse tune the other is the fine adjust so to speak. Icon_smile

Terry

thanks for sending the schematic. why would they have a preset that's labeled phono/tv if it can't be used? is it possible to wire in, and tune it with the screws until it picks up the line in?

i know it sounds daffy, but my cd player in my car is like that - the radio has to be tuned to an fm station in order to pick up the cd player. so now i have this idea planted in my head, and that preset is labeled phono!

thanks again for your response!

nat

The PHONO button is for a wireless record changer, like Models 40-RP-1, 40-RP-2 or 40-RP-3 that "broadcast" the record to an unsed AM frequency for that pushbutton range.

wow! so does that mean i can pick up things like baby monitors, or wireless speakers if i tune it right? is there a chance that i could use wireless headphones or something like that, and just tune it in?

thanks so much for the lead!

No, sorry. All those devices are high-freq VHF or UHF FM signals, not an AM broadcast-band freq.