Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Acquisition - Philco 38-2670 Question

Hello, picked up a Philco 38-2670 locally for $20 in very good shape. The dial scale is trashed. I looked at Radio Daze and they list two different dial scales for this model, ie. catalog item DS-A366 and DS-A130. Does any one know if there is a difference?

Also, Nostalgia Air does not list a 38-2670 schematic, but do list the 37-2670... are they the same for both 1937 and 1938?

Britt Abbott
Chesapeake, VA

$20?!? Icon_eek Hey, would you like to double your money? Icon_biggrin

Congratulations. That is a great find at an amazingly low price!

I'm afraid I can't answer the Radio Daze dial scale question, but I can tell you that you should be able to use the 37-2670 schematic for your 38-2670.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Great deal! Second what Ron said, the 37-2670 schematic is the same.

Call Radio Daze, go to the tech line and ask for Brian. You want the dial that has has longwave (150-350 KHz) for the bottom band.

Guys, thanks for the tips. I pulled the chassis out and posted a couple of pics below. The cord has been replaced with a heavy duty GE black rubber cord. When I tipped it over I only found one can electrolytic cap had been replaced underneath with an old Solar cardboard tube cap. Everything else looks untouched (hooray!) Icon_thumbup

A couple more questions after looking at the chassis...

1. In 1938, did Philco still use cloth power cord?
2. The shadow tuner was still sitting on top of the chassis disconnected. Did the tuner connect to the inside of dial bezel? Looks like someone did put a carbon resistor across two of the socket holes of the shadow tuner connector.
3. Any good sources for diagnosing and reconnecting the shadow tuner on the web?

1. No. Philco switched from cloth covered AC cord to rubber during the 1937 season, and by the 1938 season, all of their sets should have had rubber AC cord.

2. The 1937-38 shadow meters are held to the back of the escutcheon assembly by two wire clips.

3. Only ones I am aware of are here:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip01.htm
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip01a.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN