Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 87 alignment question/RESULTS

Where, exactly, am I hooking up the output meter (VTVM). It says the "voice coil" and I want to be certain. And I'm measuring VAC, correct? And where do I get the non-metallic 1/4" hex socket tool to turn both the RF adjustments and then the compensators for neutralization?

Hi

It is most convenient to connect your output meter across the speaker voice coil.

As to where to find the 1/4" hex tool for alignment, you may have to make your own. See these threads for more details.

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...hp?tid=242

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=1544

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=4148

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

OK, thanks. In the meantime, I had the radio on and what does this tell you: with no antenna wire or ground, I get the three strong stations crystal clear. However, the volume control does nothing. They are all at about the correct listening level, but I can't increase or decrease the volume. (I've checked the pot with my DVOM and it's fine) Adding my long wire does not increase the signal or volume. Now if I go up to a station 25 miles away (580), I need the long wire and at that station, the volume works as it should. If I tune down to 910 ( a strong local station), I still can't turn it down in volume. That control on the far right has some effect, but I can never get a strong station to go from nothing to very loud.

The "volume control" on the 87 is just a 10K potentiometer connected between the antenna terminal and ground. On sets like these, a good ground is essential for proper operation of the volume control. Left ungrounded, the volume control is not always effective on strong local stations, as you have discovered.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I made my alignment tool and everything went by-the-books, so to speak, until the very last step. (RF tubes 3rd and 2nd received only a minor adjustment to get a minimum signal) The first RF tube's neutralization condenser showed the meter going down as I turned it. The more I turned it, the more it went down. It felt super loose. So I took it back to where it was before and, of course, the meter went up until I could turn the condenser no more. No matter what changes I made, the results were always repeated. I disconnected all of the test equipment and turned the radio on and I would describe the operation as completely satisfactory. If I adjust the first condenser now, it merely lowers the signal. So it's more or less where it was before. When I have the ground connected, the set works much better, but without it is not bad at all. If I stick a 2' wire on the antenna post (and no ground), I can pick up my 4 strong stations crystal clear and the Volume Control works. What it the control on the right side called?

More or less it's a local/distance switch. It turns off the first RF amp stage.
Sounds like you got it working great!!!! Good set for 1929. Gotta stick a cap
or two in mine to get it working again. Enjoy it!!!!!
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry