Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

F-1740 Alignment/Diagnostic Advice Needed.

I have recapped and changed resistors as required, installed a solid state vibrator and added new buffer cap. I have 212v at the rectifier. The manual oscillator coil was open, fixed that and the tuning condenser came to life. My problem is that I can only receive at 1570 kc and 1120kc at the same time and nothing else anywhere on the dial. When the presets are selected, nothing on the first 2 (580 to 1050kc) 3 is a weaker version of 4 and 5 (900 to 1580) which are loud and clear with 2 stations which sounds exactly like manual dial. The 1570 is a very strong local station. I noticed that the 2 station I receive are 455 kc apart. Alignment? The Philco sheet says to send 455kc thru .1mf cap to the antenna receptacle. I did that and the maximum output is where I have it, but no change in reception. I really like to figure as much of this kind of stuff out myself, but this beyond my diagnostic ability. Thanks for your thoughts

Double check to see that the oscillator is running. You should have a little bit of - voltage on the control grid of the mixer tube like a volt or 2.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry