Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PT-25 and 48-200 restoration

I am new to the forum, and new to radio restoration.

As my first project I am planning to recap a PT-25 and possibly a 46-200.

Can someone give me the heads up as to what capacitors I will need to purchase for this project. Also is this something I can purchase as a "kit" or just a seperate items (and which vendor should I go with).

The PT-25 is DOA. The 46-200 does work, but additionally the cord need to be replaced and the stations come in with alot of static.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

OK. please look at http://www.nostalgiaair.org/ go to resources philco, and get schematics for your radios. Make a parts list. If you have a problem come back. You will need to replace the electrolytic capacitors and all the wax coupling and bypass capacitors before you dare to fire it up again. Probably the small resistors too, since thay cost about a nickel apiece and aren't worth testing. If you don't have a stash, order one of everything in the set so you don't get stung with another shipping charge.

Do the simpler of the two first.

Always use an isolation transformer and a variac to safely bring these old sets back to life gradually. Do not ever touch the set whilst it is plugged in, but OK if clean dry knob, you can turn it.

Ask more questions.

Welcome aboard. JustRadios in Canada used to provide a service where you could give them you radio make/model and he would sell you a kit of all needed capacitors and service data, as well. I don't know if they are still doing this. Their website is justradios.com .