Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-30 Code 121 Wiring and Antenna

Good evening. I'm impressed with the efforts of the fellow forum folks.
I noticed several have restored a 39-30 Code 121 set.

I'm re-wiring mine, and have a question. Can I remove the nut at the top of the IF cans to remove -just- its shield so I can re-wire those IFs? I had a bad experience with a Crosley of a similar vintage that needed re-wiring. Despite trying to label the wires when I removed the whole can and making good notes of where they routed, the insulation with my marks on it fell off.

My second question: I got the set with no back/antenna. The service bulletin mentions a Philco antenna that is recommended. Were these sets sold without the typical antenna built into the back? Or what kind of antenna is recommended?

Regards,
Clarence in Virginia Beach

The top nut on the IF can normally just supports the top of the coil form. Probably need to remove a pair of nuts under the chassis that mounts the entire IF can.

No loop antenna from the schematic. Uses a flying lead antenna. A 10 ft. 22 ga. wire should do nicely.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/289/M0013289.htm

Richard

Thanks, Richard. I'd hoped that wouldn't be the case. I had a similar issue with rotted wires in a 1941 Crosley 51-TA and the marks I made on the wires disappeared with the remaining insulation when I started taking he IF cans out. It was a bear to figure out which wires were which after that.

Hmmm. maybe I'll solder on a short length of new colored wire onto each lead so I can keep track of their existing colors.

Thanks!
Clarence

Richard, thanks for the advice. The IF wires weren't as rotted as some others in the chassis. I got the 2nd IF out and re-wired already and even located a 51K Ohm resistor that appeared on the parts list but not on the parts location diagram. It was inside the IF can. I'll do the 1st IF today.
The nut at the top was as you described--it just held the guts to the can housing. There was no way to remove just the cover; the whole can had to come out.

I do appreciate the assistance.

Clarence