Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

World's First All-Transistor Phonograph developed by Philco-1955

PhilcoFordTesla,

This is the second thread you have re-animated describing your own restoration.

May I suggest instead starting your own?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

great idea, but couldn't make out the photobucket picks so thought the thread could use some new ones, I'll go away . . . silly me thought it was a good thing to keep the subject together

It's very interesting to follow any restoration, including yours.
But usually here we have every restoration as a separate subject.
Not to discourage you or anything like it.
But here you will find several threads on say 38-690, many more on 20 or 60 or 16. And every restoration will be separate.

Makes it distinct.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Very cooooool!
I would love it if you could scan that speed indicator and email me a copy...
Mine didn't come with one. Icon_sad

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

OK maybe I'll start a new thread when I actually do something unique, like convert it to a AM/FM/BT/.mp3 player, of course I'll need to punch it full of ventilation holes when I retrofit the Mabuchi 17,000 RPM RC280 24MM TPA-1 retrofit straight from China, hoping to play Inagaddadavida @ 78 RPM and see what I can see lol . . . of course this strobe disc will be useless then :-(  . . .        

(BTW Do you think Ron would kick me off for doing it again?  I can see the board is flooded with TPA-1/2 posts)  Had a nice chat with Timmy yesterday and curious to learn more about Rick Hirsh if he is still around here and if anyone has a good recommendation for replacing the gooey foam around the motor, maybe a hunk of pipe insulation, or??  I'll search here somewhere to see what Kirk might have posted about his)

Thank you!!!!
I haven't restored mine past putting in a new cart. I do have to recap it and then it should get proper volume.
Ron wont kick you out Icon_lol
It is not something I would do as these are rare and you will kill it's value.
BUT... It is yours.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I am kidding on some of that but my big attraction is the amp and just how it sounds as Dad gave me one of these amps for Christmas ~1956 when we lived in Mexico City for 2 years and at the age of 6 I pretty much destroyed it and then all my 'toys' were left behind in the move up to NorCal in '57 when Dad was transferred to start Philco in Palo Alto. I have a bunch of RCA 45 players and I know how they sound and expect less from this, but with external input it sounds pretty darn good for what i is, so if I could hide some modules inside retaining the case intact and phono parts etc.

I saw all that conformal coating on the back of the board and the clinched over leads so didn't even want to try unsoldering from the back for the one cap, the .01 is the only other and probably not too critical maybe for anti oscillation? not sure- doesn't seem to be a problem and the volume is back! Confusing why it all seemed to be working and then looked athe position of the 40 @ 3V in the schematic . . .

Dad worked at Philco until '70 when he died on the job of a heart attack, I miss him dearly but the Philco legend carries on!