Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help !!!! Need an External Antenna for My 41-221CL

Being a lover of Philco radios.....but an electronic idiot.....I need some advise on an outside external antenna. My 41-221 is near mint and been electronically restored. It does a great job on AM and ok on the SW band, but I think it would be much better with an outside antenna. My problem is that I don't know how to ground the antenna so that lightening isn't a big problem, (can't use the attic). I've got a couple of hundred feet to work with so space isn't a problem.....but here in Eastern TN, lightening is an issue,( I'm at the base of the Smokey Mountains Natl Park ). Can anyone tell me, or send me a diagram in" laymans terms" on how to install a good outside antenna ?? I've also got an amazing 42-380, but it doesn't seem to need additional help. Thanks so much, Al

Whatver you wind up the default is to not have the antenna connected when not listening, and do not listen during a thunderstorm. A nice big knife switch would work. That way hopefully you won't have to replace the antenna coil or your home. Gee 100 feet longwire would be great.

That being said, there are lightening arrestors which are spark gaps can divert a lot of problems from the antenna to a big old ground rod outside through a stout cable.

Of course a 2' X2' tuned loop inside is also surprising !

Thanks so much !!! This is an amazing place to get advise and talk to others about Philco !! I really appreciate your advise. I have to admit that I hadn't thought about a large blade switch.....but that sounds like what I need. I'm one of those folks who listens to my old philcos on Friday and Saturday night, (Grand Old Opry on 650 WSM), so they get used pretty regular and I need a better antenna system. I really appreciate it !!! Thanks again, Al

Bottom line, I never leave anything connected antenna wise during a thunderstorm. Best way to protect your beloved sets. Yes a long wire would help SW reception, possibly dramatically. I do believe you already have a built in loop for the AM BCB band anyhow. 100' of wire. Good ground as close as possible to the set. Meaning an 8' copper rod driven down, leaving maybe 6" for connection to a ground cable (not a thin wire), back to the radio chassis (ground connection). Works wonders many times for unwanted man made noise control in these old sets. Plus can actual aid in reception for obvious reasons. I've noticed many collectors over look a good proper ground, or are simply unable to use one due to living in an apartment or whatever.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Thanks again !! I've got an eight foot ground rod that I installed a few months ago that's already in place, so I'll use it, (got tired of giving the Sat T.V. folks 110.00 every month....it was money better spent on old Philcos !!!). I'm going to try to run a 150 ft longwire antenna in the spring, just gotta figure out how to run the antenna through the wall since it's brick. The radio does have the internal antenna and does as well as can be expected with it.....but I'm hoping that the shortwave and BC bands both improve with the longwire. Thanks again......I really appreciate it !!!!! Al Icon_smile

My own personal experience with a higher end sets that sport their own BCB loop is this. When properly attached and there are no issues with the antenna (bad connections, broken links, etc). It's hard to beat if the radio itself is also properly aligned to it's maximum. I've tested this on Zenith's Philco's and others. Adding the long wire usually provided little improvement if at all in received signal. In fact it generally hurt the directional characteristics of the loop. At night with skywave all over, it made it down right nasty at times. Now planted somewhere in BFE Dakota, yeah it will make a difference for ground wave reception of a distant station. Bottom line is if all the above conditions are met, you'll be hard pressed beating the built-in loop.

Now on SW that is a much different situation. Usually you're lucky to have a piece of wire built in for SW reception. So yes the long wire will improve things, sometimes dramatically depending. Of course proper ground as already mentioned. You should be a happy camper Icon_wink

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php