Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PHILCO 41-608 ADJUSTMENTS

I have the BOL record changer which was restored and works good with a new photo cell. There is an adjustment screw to increase or decrease the intensity of the light beam, however, when I turn this screw (which is located neara the oscillator on the chassis), it does not make any difference at all to the light beam. I am certain I am adjusting the correct screw according to the Philco schematic. Does any one have any suggestions?

The reason for the desire to adjust is because when the volume is turned up too high, the sound becomes distored as a fluttering garbled volume. The same happens when the tone is turned too high to the bass. This is model 41-608.

Thank you.

Hello, David,

Check the 'pot' which adjusts the lamp imtensity. It may have a wire off or need a good squirt of tuner cleaner.

Is the light really bright? It should not be. After you gain control of it, you should start at minimum, then turn it up, slowly. When you rreach a place where the volume doesn't increase, leave it there. The lamp will last longer, and be less microphonic. My Aunt and Uncle had a 41-608, which they bought new. It ran until about 1963 or 64, when they THREW IT OUT!!!! It still had the original lamp, stylus and photocell. and it was used heavily. (Through WW-II with teen agers!) The shelf plates had the chrome worn through where the records were rubbed on them.

Thanks Randy. I have tried adjusting it and get no change in intensity. I am going to pull out the chassis and take a look for a broken wire, or clean it as you mentioned. I have the "table top record player" from 1941 that I just restored, and it has the adjustment on the back of the chassis (which is where it should be), and it adjusts just fine, and I get no microphonics. As for the 41-608, I think it is too bright and that is why I cannot turn it up too high. I need to syncronize the volume between the radio and record player better.

Thanks,

hi david
would be nice to see pic`s of both your BOL`s
sam

David,
RE:"table top record player". I have seen pictures (Philco pictures) of this machine, but NEVER the actual machine. I'd love to have one like it.

I see table top Philcos on Ebay all the time, but they are the ones that use the crystal pickup, which actually relegates them to the 'so what' catagory, especially at the prices people are asking.

Somebody should too up and manufacturre a line of crysrtals for the Collector market, with lots of adaptors for the countless mounting options to be found in these old machines. (1936 - 1955) Most after that used ceramics, and those are available.

I will take photos and post. It works perfectly and shows nice. The cabinet is excellent, and quite heavy considering the size of the entire thing. The one I purchased had a tone arm that was missing the "insides" on the beam head, but fortunately I had another spare from my working on my 4-608 so I was able to put the new BOL arm in place, recap the chassis, reflock the turntable, and, take the direct drive motor apart, clean and oil it, to bring it back to life. These phonos are very neat to use. Once you lift up the tone arm, it starts the motor on for you, and when you put it back, it shuts it off.

I will post shortly.

I'd like that! Thanks. Where do you get your flocking material? I have at least two TT's that need it. The direct drive feature is GOOD, and even better for those of us who want to restore old phonos. Rubber pucks are SO hard to find!!! Especially in the correct configurations.

We have the Woodcraft store here in Ct, but I am sure they have it on line also. You just buy the closest color of the flocking paint along with the flocking powder in the color you want, and a flocking applicator can and it is easy to do. For about $35, you can flock about 10 turntables, and they look great.