Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cleaning aluminum electrolytics in Philco 80 jr.

Hey guys,

I asked that question in other threads, but those obviously went to sleep, so I am making a new one.

I have those two Sprague LC16 16uF electrolytic caps I intend to re-stuff.
They are from Philco 80 jr.
Those two are the type where two wires, red and black, are coming out of their lower end (through the compressed rubber insulator).

I cut the tops off, and they are potted with some tar. It is not the same type that is encountered in the backelite Philco caps, or in the Big Can Filter block, like in the Philco 20.
It feels softer.
I tried to heat it with Milwaukee gun and use a corkscrew to pull everything out - I was heating it for 10 minutes, on both lo/hi, did not work. And I fouled up my corkscrew.

Anyway, did anyone successfully clean up this type caps, and what was the process?
I'd be interested in the least stinky one Icon_smile

Also the wires probably hold to sometfhing - what do you do with them?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Sigh...

http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=3126

Quote:II. Multiple threads on the same subject not allowed.

When you start a thread, please keep the discussion within the same thread.

Example: "Philco 90 broken"

After you've started that thread, please do not start another thread on "Philco 90 bad resistor" if it is the same Philco 90 being discussed in the original thread. Give others a chance to respond to your questions rather than asking them again in a new thread - please be patient.

These sort of threads will be immediately deleted, to keep clutter to a minimum.

Please cooperate with me in keeping one thread in the same place rather than scattering it around.

Please continue the discussion in the original thread.
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=4263

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN