Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Request Opinion on This 39-30 Power Transformer

The original 1939 Philco power transformers had rubber-covered leads, and may have had high failure rates since Philco switched back to cloth-covered leads in their 1940 power transformers - and did not use rubber-covered leads again in power transformers. (They did use plastic insulation after the war.)

That said, original 1939 Philco sets are found with their original power transformers these days, and the rubber insulation is usually a melted mess. Sometimes you get lucky, and the transformer is still good - as long as you remove all of the old insulation and re-insulate with color-coded heat shrink tubing before applying power.

But all of this does not apply to your situation; I mention all of this for informational purposes only.

I can't really tell from your photos, but yours really does look rather deep-fried.

All that said, I might have a suitable transformer from a 1940 or 1941 Philco chassis. I would have to look and see - as long as you don't mind a slightly newer transformer with cloth-covered wires.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread