Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Request Opinion on This 39-30 Power Transformer

Ron, I sure don't mind a slightly newer one, as long as it fits and functions. I'm reworking this set for myself, and to bring it back to life (I get great satisfaction from getting an old radio working right again).
I'm doing a functional restoration anyway, hiding new components (caps, resistors) under the chassis but keeping the upper part and cabinet as close to stock-appearing as possible. So a variation on the part is not a big deal for me.
Not knocking those who do a full restoration, even those who do museum-quality restorations using only vintage parts of precisely the correct year and serial number series; but I want my sets to function for the long haul without more re-work, so I compromise with the newer hidden parts. I do use tinned wire as close to original appearance as possible.
I am, however, going to try my hand at pre-stuffing my jars of old paper caps, so I can have some on hand for my next set. I wouldn't want to stop in the middle to stuff them as I take them out, but if I had similar vintage ones ready, it would be easy to use original-appearing new caps.
This set will also be my first experience re-stuffing a Bakelite cap. I'm awaiting a Forum answer on its wiring configuration.

Your help is certainly appreciated.

Regards,
Clarence

Messages In This Thread