Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bakelite Condenser 3903-DG

Good morning. As part of finishing up the Philco 39-30 Code 121, I want to rework the Bakelite cap. It had a single .10 cap wired to the top, on the line at the first right terminal from the bolt (clockwise). The part number on the side is 3903-DG.
The person who bypassed on top it left all the wax and guts still inside, still in the circuit.

I see the 3930-G on the chart at this link, but not the 3903-DG. I saw another post saying that the 3930-DG is grounded differently that the 3903-G.
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/bblokcap.htm

Link saying the -DG is set up differently:
http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...hp?t=34208

Can anyone confirm the correct connections of/inside this unit? It's supposed to contain two .10 caps. I want to confirm where they attach -before- I disconnect them to get at the insides.

Also, does the 8-terminal numbering scheme apply to this condenser the same way it's listed on the link above, clockwise with the bolt being Lug 1?

Regards,
Clarence

I show a 3903-DG as a dual 0.01 uf cap:

O-| | |
.. 1 2 3

#1 is ground and one end of both caps
#2 is cap 1
#3 is cap 2

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Clarence

+1 what LASJayhawk said.

Using the link you posted to Chuck's site, scroll down until you see "Universal Type 3903 (.01 Mfd.) There you will see the specs for the 3903-DG - two .01 (not .1) capacitors.

X-Y safety capacitors should be used inside this block, since one end of each of the caps is connected to each side of the AC line.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

D'oh. Which means I rebuilt my 3903-DG incorrectly because one of the leads disintegrated and I didn't read the schematic correctly. Fortunately I haven't re-attached the block *to* anything yet...

Thanks, guys. And nice catch, Ron. I surely did read the parts list wrong and would have used two .10 caps instead of the two .01 caps it calls for. And I will use the X-Y type rather than Y2 as well.

I didn't read down Chuck's list far enough. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Clarence

My first time restuffing one of this type, but it worked great, using the technique a saw in a YouTube video. And by using two Ceramic Y2 caps, they both fit inside easily. Just with I could find ceramic Y2's for .10 value for other radios to save space. The big square ones take up a lot of room.

(02-15-2012, 06:46 PM)imacdaddy757 Wrote:  Thanks, guys. And nice catch, Ron. I surely did read the parts list wrong and would have used two .10 caps instead of the two .01 caps it calls for. And I will use the X-Y type rather than Y2 as well.

I didn't read down Chuck's list far enough. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
Clarence

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/bblokcap.htm

Search for 3903-DG, it IS there.

It is in the different table

UNIVERSAL TYPE 3903 (.01 Mfd.)
Working Voltage 600
Universal Bakelite Block Terminals

Capacity Wiring Lugs
1 & 3 1 & 2
3903-DG 2 .01 .01

PS> For the future, don't rely on yourself looking, but do the search in your browser (Ctl-F usually, and type in the word you are looking for.)