Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Project - 39-55

(03-07-2012, 12:42 AM)ipwizard Wrote:  Anyone have any tips of rebuilding a 4 pin speaker plug?

If you don't mind some heat shrink tubing, here is what I suggest:

Cut off the wires, leaving about 1 to 2 inches sticking out from the plug.

Connect your new wires, making sure the proper wire is connected to the proper connector on the plug.

Use heat shrink tubing to cover the joint as well as the old wire going into the plug. Push the tubing all the way into the plug as far as you can, then heat it to shrink.

This is how I repair those connectors, anyway. Easier than grinding off a long rivet, possibly damaging the fiber insulator which is already weakened from age and possibly damaged already, then having to find another long rivet to replace the original.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

One more thing. Regarding your newly rebuilt power transformer, I agree that you should use grommets on the newly enlarged holes where the wires pass through.

You don't have to remove the bell, though. Just pass the grommets over the wires and work them in. It might help if you cut each grommet, install them, then use a dot of super glue on each grommet where they were cut, to reseal them.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi
I have a 39-116 it had a 6j8 in it, before I noticed it should have a 6a8, it worked fine but the dial was off and I could not get the dial to track, then I noticed the mistake, when I put the correct 6a8 in everything worked and tracking was perfect. So a 6j8 will work but dial will be off.
Joe

Joe Bratcher near Louisville, KY

Ok the under chassis wiring is complete. I checked over things and decided to give the set a little power. It go to about 70 volts AC and the motor had enough power to turn the power switch on. The dial lights lit up and no smoke. Icon_smile

Problem is there is a fairly loud buzz coming from the audio transformer, I shut it down hopeing to not damage it. I ohmed it out while I was rewiring and it ohmed out good. I must have futzed something up. I havent trouble shot it yet. Do you guys have any pointers.

The set didnt have any tubes installed, and the speaker was not plugged in. Would that cause the AT to buzz/hum?

Schematic here: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/299/M0013299.htm

-Keith

Well progress was made tonight. The buzzing I was hearing and feeling was actually coming from the motor that runs the volume/power control. The motor was half engaging and it was buzzing/vibrating and causing the output transformer to vibrate which is just above the motor assembly.

The reed switch that controls the motor was not disengaging all the way and the contacts were slightly touching. Once I fixed the reed switch everything was fine.

I powered the radio up will all the tubes and speaker hooked up and there was no smoke or overheating parts which was a good sign, but there was no sound what so ever not even a hum or a pop from the speaker.

On to checking voltages and tracing things out.

-Keith

It is alive!!!

I found the issue that was keeping it quiet. One of the fine wires on the oscilator coils broke loose. Fixed that and it started playing. Sounds good and is pretty sensitive. I need to give it an alignment, then on to try to get the Mystery tuning working.

-Keith

(04-13-2012, 12:47 AM)ipwizard Wrote:  It is alive!!!

I found the issue that was keeping it quiet. One of the fine wires on the oscilator coils broke loose. Fixed that and it started playing. Sounds good and is pretty sensitive. I need to give it an alignment, then on to try to get the Mystery tuning working.

Love it when it works! Great job!