Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie introduction

Hi Jay

Welcome to the Phorums! I was born in Kansas City but have not lived there since I was 12. I remember the old McGee Radio Co., downtown, and Burstein-Applebee, too; two large electronics wholesalers. I know B-A is long gone, I think McGee Radio is also?

Anyway, on to your 511. Your audio output tube should be a Type 71A - may be labelled 171A, but test it as a 71A once you confirm that is the proper number on the tube you have.

One of the two filter chokes is in the positive leg of the power supply (the one which you measured 150 in, 139 out). The other choke is in the NEGATIVE leg of the power supply, and one end connectes to chassis ground - which has to be where you measured 0 volts, which is normal if you are referencing your measurements to ground.

Go and check the multi-section voltage divider resistor, labeled (37) and ( 38 ) on the schematic. Bear in mind that on most 511 sets, the 70,000 ohm section of (37) is a separate resistor, mounted away from the main divider. I'd be willing to bet that one or more sections of this resistor is/are bad, which is commonplace. Those bad sections will need to be replaced with new resistors before your set will come to life.

If I were you, I would replace ALL capacitors inside the large metal can (35), as well as the paper caps inside the cylindrical tubes (7), (12), (17), (39) and rectangular metal cans (27) and (30). Capacitors (7), (12) & (17) also have 100 ohm resistance windings around each cylindrical tube; this resistance wire often breaks and kills your set. Replace with 100 ohm resistors hidden inside the old cylindrical tubes as you replace the capacitors in each.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Newbie introduction - by Guest - 10-08-2006, 06:12 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 10-09-2006, 09:11 AM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 10-09-2006, 09:17 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 10-09-2006, 02:51 PM
[No subject] - by OzRadio - 10-14-2006, 05:43 PM