Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 bandswitch replacement

Hi Guys,

I thought things were going well on this repair until I discovered the bandswitch Bakelite wafer was cracked. I suppose I can replace this with a modern rotory switch. Or can I?

lyle

I may not be very good, but I'm slow.

(03-08-2012, 09:02 PM)lyle Wrote:  Hi Guys,

I thought things were going well on this repair until I discovered the bandswitch Bakelite wafer was cracked. I suppose I can replace this with a modern rotory switch. Or can I?

lyle

Well you could find another 60 for parts. I would use some super glue or epoxy to hold it together. You could replace it with a new one but it would have to have arrangement of contacts.
Terry

(03-08-2012, 09:02 PM)lyle Wrote:  Hi Guys,

lyle
Unfortunately usually not unless you are extremely lucky nad the switch is a fairly generic design, your best bet is to try repairing the original one by gluing the phenolic wafer back together with plain two part epoxy (not JB weld) and if that fails then you will have to salvage another swtch from a parts chassis. These sets only have two bands so removing the switch to repair it isn't as bad as a larger more complex set with 3, 4, or 5 bands. If you don't have a wiring diagram draw one out on a piece of paper noting where the wires go and tag the wires one by one as you disconnect them. After you remove the switch you will need to clean it thoughly before gluing it, I like to start with varsol and then follow it up with alcohol or lacquer thinner.
Regards
Arran

Super glue. You know I thought of that, but thought that was too simple.Icon_lol
Will try that first. The owner really only cares about the broadcast band, so if the super glue doesn't work, what about by-passing it somehow? There are a lot of wires.

Thanks, Terry.

I marked the wires and contacts with different colored paints, and took a digital, and made a diagram. Yes, I do wear a belt with my suspenders.Icon_razz

I will clean up the break as you suggested and try epoxy or super glue, as Terry suggested.

Thanks, it's nice to have you guys around. Really nice.
lyle

You may be able to bypass it but keep in mind that the broadcast band only goes up to 1500 KC on a Philco 60 so the top end will be missing. In my experience super glue tends to fail more then epoxy, it can't take heat and it can't take mch mechanical stess.
Regards
Arran

Hi, Arran.

Used superglue and a bead of epoxy along the break.

If there is a 'next time' I'd try some Plas-T-Pair. Have repaired Bakelite tube bases with it and got a really strong bond.

Anyway, band selector is fixed and was able to give it a good cleaning while it was in pieces and out of the radio.

I actually found a copy of 'Elements of Radio Servicing' among some old radio books I bought on ebay years ago.
Will use it as my textbook. Thanks for reminding me.

lyle

Thanks,

lyle

Thanks to everybody for your help. Got the Philco 60 up and running loud and clear. Or as clear as it can be with a torn speaker cone. The repair of the band selector wafer was a success. Even get a station at 1490 on the Police Band. Since this band starts at 1400 kc, I believe, that was not too much of a surprise.

Thanks again,

lyle