Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cleaning Philco 90 Volume Control

What's the best way to clean the volume control on a model 90? It's really noisy. I tried some contact cleaner. Maybe I need to really hit it. I was conservative with the deoxit. What do the experts agree on.

Sounds like you used contact cleaner after DeoxIT? Try using the contact cleaner first, let dry, then DeoxIT.

Personally, I only use DeoxIT. It's expensive, but it's very good! And when used sparingly, a can will last a long time.

Which reminds me, it's about time to get another can...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-15-2012, 02:56 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Sounds like you used contact cleaner after DeoxIT? Try using the contact cleaner first, let dry, then DeoxIT.

Personally, I only use DeoxIT. It's expensive, but it's very good! And when used sparingly, a can will last a long time.

Which reminds me, it's about time to get another can...

Use the Deoxit for plastic (green) the gold stuff can clean the conductive coating right off.

When a control gets really bad I carefully open them up and clean the resistive element and the wiper by dipping it in varsol to get rid of grease and then with rubbing alcohol to get rid of any oil left behind. Sometimes the shaft is stiff and I have to undo the "C" clip holding it in, clean the shaft and bushing, and regrease the bushing. Don't try any of is if you think you may loose or break something.
Regards
Arran

Where can I get varsol or DeoxIT?

Automotive stores?

also, can I use the Lacquer thinner instead of Varsol?
How about acetone?

After you clean all of it, do you apply any grease to the resistive element (to ease wear)? What kind?

Clean:
Google Deoxit and take your choice. Many music stores order this stuff by the case, and may be able to spare you a can at cost. Else pricy but nothing better. Let it dry for a few hours.

Lubricate:
I use a toothpick applicator of lithium grease cut with a little WD40 mixed up in a tiny paper cup sometimes grubbed from hamburger monger. Litttle dab will do ya' .

(03-18-2012, 12:43 PM)morzh Wrote:  also, can I use the Lacquer thinner instead of Varsol?

No.

Quote:How about acetone?

No!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-18-2012, 02:43 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  
(03-18-2012, 12:43 PM)morzh Wrote:  also, can I use the Lacquer thinner instead of Varsol?

No.

Quote:How about acetone?

No!

Sounds convincing Icon_biggrin

I spoke to one of our engineers, an older guy, and he said there was (in the times of yore) some sort of spray in a can, that they called "the blue stuff", that was used to clean volume regulators and that was specifically manufactured for that purpose.
He said there is a small hole (so far I failed to locate it, but then I did not take the potmeter off) in the regulator, where the contacts are, and you just spray the stuff in the hole and then you turn the shaft several times back and forth, and that did the trick.

He said he would look, as he may still own a can of that thing, and if it is still there at his garage - we would give it to me.

Anyone knows what it is?

(03-21-2012, 05:58 PM)morzh Wrote:  I spoke to one of our engineers, an older guy, and he said there was (in the times of yore) some sort of spray in a can, that they called "the blue stuff", that was used to clean volume regulators and that was specifically manufactured for that purpose.
He said there is a small hole (so far I failed to locate it, but then I did not take the potmeter off) in the regulator, where the contacts are, and you just spray the stuff in the hole and then you turn the shaft several times back and forth, and that did the trick.

He said he would look, as he may still own a can of that thing, and if it is still there at his garage - we would give it to me.

Anyone knows what it i

Sound a little familiar from way back like the '60s.
Deoxit is good stuff. The others you mention will remove the resistance coating and destroy the pot. In a pinch Wd40 works ok. Some pots don't have a hole , you'll have to pop off the back cover.
Terry

The 'blue can stuff' was called Blue Shower. Used it many times in the 70's-90's. John

Hi, Are there different kinds of DeoxIT? If so, what is the best kind to use on our old radios? I see that Guitar Center has a 5 ounce can of DeoxIT D5S-6 spray contact cleaner for $15.99. List price is $17.99. Are they carrying the right stuff and if so, is that a good price? I'd hate to buy an expensive can of the wrong stuff. Thanks, Tom

(03-31-2012, 02:15 PM)Tom Hamilton Wrote:  Hi, Are there different kinds of DeoxIT? If so, what is the best kind to use on our old radios? I see that Guitar Center has a 5 ounce can of DeoxIT D5S-6 spray contact cleaner for $15.99. List price is $17.99. Are they carrying the right stuff and if so, is that a good price? I'd hate to buy an expensive can of the wrong stuff. Thanks, Tom

This is wher I get mine - no shipping. I use deoxit 5 spray. Nice people tool, no personal connection.

Thanks Codefox1. I'll have to pick up a can when I'm near Guitar Center next time. Tom

(03-15-2012, 08:49 PM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Use the Deoxit for plastic (green) the gold stuff can clean the conductive coating right off.

DeoxIT D5S-6 spray - seems to be the "red stuff"; there is also "Gold" (G5) and F5 - "Green stuff".

So, which one? Green?

Actually, only Gold and Red have the word "contact" in their names.

I think "F5" (green) is the one, as it is for "Conductive Plastics".