Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Philco 37-116X What's The Price Point?

Just got another one $50. It is in very good shape with all the knobs, tubes, speakers, and shields. THe cabinet is very nice.

Great score!!Icon_thumbup

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

Agreed, congrats, Phlogiston. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks. I am VERY happy about it.

Good lord!! That's a VERY good price!!

Let me know when you plan on starting, I have one waiting in the wings too (actually 2). We can lament over the unit chassis construction together...Icon_smile

Glenn

Happily back in Illinois..not.

They are tough but not impossibly so.

I recommend diagramming and tagging each wire/connection when you remove the RF deck.

Pricing is funny:

The day before our NE meet a pal of mine got a phone call from a friend of his wife, at a yard sale, two plastic sets, he ran over. One a very pedestrian RCA bakelite, one a Dewald Catalin, got both for 30.00. Beautiful butterscotch catalin, pick a price.

All I find at yard sales is old underwear. If you have put your sweat into a set and want to sell it restored people give you dirty looks after you give them the price. Your time and effort costs you just as much on a common set as on a rare set. Try to explain that.

Many common sets well restored that play well get dissed, the Yenta says I have one, see them all the time, even though it took mucho time and sounds beautiful. Ask the Yenta how much 12 hrs. of their time is worth, and then ask if it was done right, be ready for the kvetching....

If you like and want it and can make it play well and safe you pay what you think is reasonable and let yourself be happy. That is what it is all about. Nuff said. Icon_wink

Paul

Tubetalk1

Phlogiston......WOW $50 that is fantastic!!!!

All I can find for $50 is an 8 tube Silvertone battery console.

Gene

I prefer to remind myself that I took the time to VERIFY there was nothing at the __________ (yard sale, junk store, etc...)

You won't find anything if you don't go out and look. So you haven't found anything yet.... The buzzword here is YET!! Keep looking.

My friend Henry Harmony, a Great American, has the best attitude about these things. "Radios always have a way of coming around," he says. And he's right. (He has, among other NICE sets, found two, that's right, two Waltons sets in the last year.....)

Paul... don't stop looking. And just to make yourself feel sexy, the next time the Yenta kvetches, tell her the reason women never pass gas is because they never shut up long enough to build up any pressure.

And now I must go make a burnt offering to my life size, post-augmentation poster of Pam Anderson.

Yes, I pulled the whole RF sub chassis on the last one I did. The only hard part about that one was the open coil in the most forward section. There was no osc on band 2. After fixing that all was well.

We went on a radio trip and came back with about 12. I have started an American Bosch 205, just because it looked easy and in good shape, $32 at antique store. And I was going to work on a Sparton 930, not so easy but interesting. We also got a 37-620 table top in good shape. that would be a good warm-up for the big one - or I might just do it first.

The 37-116 was at an antique store way out in the bushes of Eastern OR. it was marked $69, I would have bought it then, but there was a nice table top silvertone 1939 with an eye tube marked $80, too much.
So I offered $100, $50 each, he said OK and threw in some thick 78s with the Brunswick label for my Panatrope.

Like I said, VERY happy with that.

TA, I like that pressure analogy. Had not heard it before. I understand Henry is a big fella, did some wrestling. Maybe that is how he gets the radios! Not many people would say no to Henry.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Henry was an All American heavyweight wrestler. He is one of those fellows with a very large frame. Shaking his hand is like shaking hands with a bowling ball.

He coaches now and has had three of his former HS wrestlers go to the Olympics. Tervel Dlagnev, who finished 5th in the Olympics in the 120Kg (242lb) class last summer, was one of Henry's former students.

Glenn, or anyone fixing up one of these, I have a couple of notes. On the previous unit I rebuilt I skipped both of the Bakelite caps 84 and 72 as I would with any mica cap of low value (110mmf). In hundreds of radios, I think thet I have only had to go back and fix 3 or 4 mica caps, keeping in mind that I work on 1920s and 30s radios.

Well this time I needed to replace R-87 anyway it had gone from 1M to 2M so I pulled C84 (c84, c84a) apart, but tested it first. The good news is that it tested just fine, a bit higher than 110mmf and I ran it up to 400V without failing the leak test, The bad news is that it was still paper caps, not micas. At that point I had to change them anyway, but I went ahead and did C 72 as well.

So here is a question for all of you Philco experts: How is it that one of these 1937 vintage resistors can have a loose lead (moves a little in tube) but still tests fine - even while moving it and jerking it around. Yes I replaced it. But I was thinking it is one more thing to watch for, because, you know, just as soon as I put it back in the cabinet it will become intermittent.

Unless you can pull it out, something was still making contact....