Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 60 tuning cap and chassis grommets-source?

This question is for the Philco 60 guys, as you've no doubt had this issue.

The grommets on this Philco 60 are understandably shot. Does anyone have a source, or hint about fabricating them? The chassis grommets look pretty easy. The tuning cap grommets a little harder.

Thanks,

lyle

I may not be very good, but I'm slow.

I usually go to Lowes and match up to wire grommets for metal boxes and for the chassis to cab I use rubber box feet also sold at lowes/home depo you may have to drill the hole larger on the feet. They have a whole isle of drawers full of stuff like that.
Todd

Thanks, Todd.

I'll take a look at Lowe's.

Appreciate your help,

lyle

Have you tried Renovated Radios?

http://www.renovatedradios.com/parts.html#rubber

For the tuning condenser grommets: GSm-Tuner.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,

I spent some time at their site, but just couldn't find a fit. I'll give it another peek. Maybe I missed something.

Thanks again and great Phorum, It's been really helpful to me and obviously many other fans of nice old radios.

lyle

Thanks again, Ron.

I took another look and you're right. I've ordered my parts from RenovatedRadios.

Might take this opportunity to mention I've met some great people on this Phorum. I spent years on my own and wasted a lot of time.

Thanks for all your hard work.

lyle

I used reproductions from RenovatedRadios on my 60 too. They work great Icon_smile

(03-23-2012, 09:00 PM)bandersen Wrote:  I used reproductions from RenovatedRadios on my 60 too. They work great Icon_smile

Thanks, bandersen,

It's always reassuring to hear from someone who has first hand experience.

lyle

Hello Lyle:

I recall that my Model 60 (late version) uses four grommets for the tuner. RenovatedRadio sells them in sets of three. You may wish to check your radio to ensure that you receive enough grommets for the complete job.

Good luck!

(03-24-2012, 04:29 PM)Allen in SB Wrote:  Hello Lyle:

I recall that my Model 60 (late version) uses four grommets for the tuner. RenovatedRadio sells them in sets of three. You may wish to check your radio to ensure that you receive enough grommets for the complete job.

Good luck!

Thanks for thinking of me, Allen.

I double checked and my 60 has only three grommets. Glad you mentioned it. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again,

lyle

Hello everyone,

Got the Philco 60 up and running, loud and clear, and now just need to take care of a few details. Do have one issue and it is still the tuning capacitor grommets. Advised to order GSm-tuner grommets from renovatedradios.com, but these will leave about a quarter inch or more of slack, because they are too thin for the screw sleeves. Probably should have taken the advice to get a bagful of assorted grommets from Harbor Freight or Lowe's. The originals were so mashed out of shape I couldn't measure them. I now realize I should have measured the sleeves. I think that's called delayed intelligence.

Do you Philco 60 guys have any thoughts about the GSm-Tuner grommets?

lyle

If the grommets are the wrong size, you should let Ed at Renovated Radios know about it. He's one of the good guys and cares about his products...and his items are top-notch.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for taking the time to answer, Ron.

I agree about the quality of his product. Fair is fair, he sent me exactly what I asked for, and promptly. It's my fault. Educations are expensive, whether poker or college. I can make these work.

Thanks, again.
lyle

(03-31-2012, 11:15 AM)lyle Wrote:  Thanks for taking the time to answer, Ron.

I agree about the quality of his product. Fair is fair, he sent me exactly what I asked for, and promptly. It's my fault. Educations are expensive, whether poker or college. I can make these work.

Thanks, again.
lyle

Reckon this about rubbers, one size don't fit all.

Roger that. LOL

lyle