Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

When Is A Restoration Really A Restoration?

(04-06-2012, 10:03 AM)Sam samuelian Wrote:  Pepperoni--you sure aren't any "baloney"!! I found a car upholsterer in my neighborhood and he's ordering me a large piece of the door backing material (at least 42 by 35). Not only is it the perfect thickness (1/8th inch) but is the right color (tan) and it will be easy to scribe out the appropriate holes. Thanks...you have surely saved me lots of money. Now if I could only figure out how to spray the PHILCO name on the back.....

Have a local Kinko's make you a stencil from a logo graphic.

Chuck

I happen to have the graphic...saved from what was left of a 38-116 back.

Now I just have to find it...and take a high resolution photo.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sounds good Ron. I still want to go through with it--but Mark Oppat feels it will do NOTHING for the sound at this age. He said when first made the acoustic clarifiers were "tuned" to the cabinet. BTW, the car upholstery material would be a good candidate for a replacement "curved" chamber for the RCA consoles of the thirties.

On another subject, I learned after spending $400.00 to replace the entire set of 20 tubes for the 38-690 that this high cost wasn't necessary and that exc. used tubes at less than half would have been fine. Some of the NOS tubes didn't test as high as they should have too.

I just watched the first of four DVDs by Bret Minassa on restoring old radios. This one was about refinishing. He is quite good at communicating with his audience, gives valuable tips, and takes you step by step through processes--even removing and installing veneer whether new or old. If the other three discs are just as good, and I fully expect them to be, they are highly recommended.

My last topic here (which I also posted elsewhere) is my concern over having newly purchased consoles shipped. Variable reviews have been heard by me regarding Greyhound (but still the cheapest), UPS (dubious packing), I know nothing about Craters and Freighters, heard Fedex is good, and of course private pick ups and delivery could vary but overall should be dependable if not costly. Another option would be driving hundreds of miles yourself, something I don't relish and something costly at the new price of $4.00 a gallon plus today. What do you think?

Sam just try getting someone to talk to me at Greyhound was a nightmare. Transferred from one person to another and I still don't have an answer to shipping a console size radio with them. I've heard it is a lot cheaper.

I've also only heard good stories from folks that have had radios deliverd by Greyhound. My theory is that the ride on a Greyhound bus is much more comfortable then in the back of a big rig. I've never been shipped anywhere in the back of a big rig but I have ridden on Greyhound buses and they were like riding on a cushion of air.

If you ever get thru to Greyhound Freight let me know. I gave up.

Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th