Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

When Is A Restoration Really A Restoration?

MORZH this started out years ago as a hobby. Then at 43 a heart attack comes along. 27 years with the biggest aerospace company and I take an early retirement at the age of 45. Then one day I'm in the hospital for 7 days on life support. My heart's failing. My advanced directive says to unplug me after 7 days. Hospital tells my wife "It's the law, we have to unplug him". They do, I stop breathing, flat line and within a minute or so nurses and doctors come rushing in saying they have a faint heart beat at the nurses station. More of a flutter if anything. One thing leads to another and I walk out of the hospital the very next day on my own 2 feet.

I continued to improve and 3 months later comes my first ICD. (Implantable cardio-converter defibrilator). Think I spelled all that corectly. Very high-tech pacemaker. All that was 7-1/2 years ago. Now I am very healthy but still have somewhat of a weak heart.

Being the kind of person who can't sit in front of that thing (sometimes referred to as a Boob Tube) I started woodworking. Then I combined that with my electronics background and I start restoring tube radios. One day someone offers me a lot of money for one of them. A light goes on and I think... I can make money doing this. I have a nice 401K that I couldn't touch until about a year ago or you know who would take it all because I was too young. So yes! I "supplement" my income by restoring radios for people. I work 7 days a week because I love what I'm doing and it does take a lot of time to perform a restoration the way I do it. But in the years I've been doing it I have honestly never had one come back with a problem. Not even a tube going bad.

I want people to be proud of what they're displaying in their home and to have a piece of history that is as original as I can make it for them and have it work for their friends to listen too. How much do I make... About a dollar two ninety eight a day. I just do it because I love it. And I believe, especially now that I'm 60 that if one keeps the mind busy with something that makes the mind work and think that one may have a better chance of having a healthy mind for a very long time. Example: I don't have advanced degrees in anything. Just some electronics. My very best friend is one of those couch potatoes who sits in front of that thing I mentioned earlier. He has a masters degree in business management. Calls me up... I chopped my extension cord in half with my hedgehog. How do I fix it?Icon_crazy

Thanks for listening. Now I have a post to place about a tube radio.

Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

Messages In This Thread
RE: When Is A Restoration Really A Restoration? - by Pepperoni - 03-31-2012, 02:10 PM