Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hit the wall with my 1230

I've had my 47-1230 out for repair for months... The company is an authorized Philco dealer, and have replaced a few parts, but when they replace one, they find another that is bad. But, I'm fine with that, as long as they are getting somewhere.

Unfortunately, the company working on it is going out of business. Does anyone here know of anyone in Eastern PA that may be able to finish up the chassis for me? I've got the schematics, and can/will acquire required parts, but I need help getting it all together.

Thanks.

I might know somebody. Where are you?
Terry

An authorized Philco dealer? Who authorized them? Philco basically ceased to exist around 1980. As for one part failing after the other well it was built in 1946-47, if they really knew what they were doing they would replace all of the capacitors and the majority of the resistors rather then using a piecemeal approach. If the company working on it is going out of business I'm not the least bit surprised, they have one of two problems as I see it:
(A) Their technicians are young and know very little about servicing tube equipment.
(B) Their technician is an old school repairman who doesn't realize that this is 2012 and not 1952, and that all of the paper caps in that set are failing or are about to fail after 65 years of service.
I have been into contact with someone who has a similar problem, he sent his chassis off to some "repairman" to get his set fixed but this repairman could not be convinced to restore the set, he only wanted to replace what is immediately wrong with it. I don't know how some technicians were conditioned into this form of thinking but simply replacing the leakiest of caps in a 1931 Westinghouse is not going to cut it.
Regards
Arran

I agree, Arran... I think that was the case here.

(03-29-2012, 09:43 PM)7estatdef Wrote:  I might know somebody. Where are you?
Terry

Near Allentown. Thank you!

I've seen pictures of that 1230, it is in great shape. Way better shape than mine.
No doubt whoever decides to give a hand will have fun and the final result will be a fantastic player.

-Mars