Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Am I Missing Something On This Philco 89?

I'm preparing to work on this model 89 and I notice that the paperwork shows the filter caps should go in the vicinity of this gaping hole between the tuning condenser pulley and the power transformer. New caps were slaved in under the chassis but I'd like to know what went in this hole.
[Image: http://speakeasyradios.com/yahoo_site_ad...20_std.jpg]

Thanks,
Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

Two alluminum can electolitic caps and mount.
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=1310

I noticed that an octal socket in place of one of the originals, somebody has been playing around in that 89. I would go over each section of the radio and compare it to the factor schematic and parts diagram and make sure they didn't do some "creative engineering" in there.
Regards
Arran

Thanks tab! Very interesting. And on that octal socket Arran It's the 75 tube that was changed to a 6Q7. Don't ask me why I'm just trying to gather info on this set before I start on it. I already have a 6 pin socket on it's way but I haven't ordered the 75 tube yet. Kind of glad I didn't after reading the story that tab put there. I may have to put some real work into this one.

Sure would like to see what one of those brackets looks like that the original filter caps were on. I could probably make one.

Thanks,
Pepper

I bumped this up in the hopes that Ron R. would see it. I'm going to proceed with the modifications on this model 89 I just got. Swap out the 36 for the 6A7 etc. But in the link below, or above that tab10672 gave there are a couple of links on Ron's page that lead me to an "ERROR" message. Most importantly the re-winding of the oscillator coil. Is there another way to access this important info on the re-winding of the coil?

Thanks,
Pepper

If you have a model 60, 18, 118 the mount looks the same it is just a band about 1-1/2" tall that is bent around the cans to clamp them down after the bolts are tightened. As for the link to Rons 89 I figured it was a good clear picture of a complete chassis you could see how the cans look and how they were mounted, it shouldnt be hard to find a couple bad caps and fab the band to make it look complete.

(04-05-2012, 04:29 PM)Pepperoni Wrote:  But in the link below, or above that tab10672 gave there are a couple of links on Ron's page that lead me to an "ERROR" message. Most importantly the re-winding of the oscillator coil. Is there another way to access this important info on the re-winding of the coil?

Try it again, Pepper - I fixed the links.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron! Appreciate that. So the model 71 Osc. coil is the same as the model 89 Osc. coil? I've read everything and it appears that you are implying that they are. Am I correct?

Pepper