Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Introduction and questions regarding a Philco 112A

Hello,

My name is Jim, and I am a total newbie when it comes to radios. We were fortunate enough to get a Philco 112A at an auction. Now then, on the plate on the back of the radio, it says it was made in Toronto, Ontario. Thus, this might explain the "A"? I've only found the Philco 112 Lowboy on Ron's site, and that fits it to a tee. I believe it may be one of Norman Bel Geddes designs, but, I don't know for sure. To make a long story shorter, the radio stopped working. Tubes seem to still light, etc, but, no audio at all. I see that there is two configurations for the tube layout. I don't know where to find the
the serial number. Within the 2 configurations it shows what the layout is
"above serial number 174,001" and the other shows the layout "below serial number 174,001"

I don't know where to start, so, I turn to you good folks. I understand that we are dealing with high voltages, etc, so, I won't go digging around without knowing exactly what to do.

So, what should I start looking for?

Thanks for any assistance; this is a great Phorum!!
I am looking forward to learning all about these radios!

All the best,

Jim

Hi and welcome! Icon_smile

The "A" does, indeed, signify the Canadian/Canadien version. The only difference is the values of the filter caps and the power transformer rated for 25 Hz power mains. It will work fine on 60Hz.

The Model 112 is a very nice set and a good performer.

DO NOT plug the set in any more until it can be fully restored. Permanent damage to irreplaceable components can result.

If you are not electronically inclined, I would suggest finding an antique radio club in your vicinity to help you. Many clubs have members who offer restoration services. To find a club near you, see the Radio Club Listing here: http://www.antiqueradio.com/clublist.html

Good Luck and let us know how it goes. Icon_smile

Alternatively, Ron Ramirez here can offer his services as well (shameless plug). See here: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.philcoradio.com/rre/services.htm">http://www.philcoradio.com/rre/services.htm</a><!-- m -->

For sure,

I don't want to do any damage to it. I received an email from
"theoldradiofixerupperguy" and he pointed me to a place just a few miles away from me that does professional repairs and restoration.
(Gotta love the internet!!) Icon_biggrin

I guess I just wanted to find out if there is anything I could change myself, before getting into major costs...

Thanks again for your assistance!

Jim

Hello,

Just wondering where I look for the serial number. I looked on the plate on the back, but it only shows the model number, and where it was made.

I would appreciate any assistance with this.

Thanks so much!

Jim

Serial number may be stamed into the chassis near the rear edge or may be on the bottom plate of the chassis, I beleive. All early Philcos were made in Philadelphia. See Philco History here on this site.

Thanks Chuck,

I'll look underneath the chassis when I get home tonight.

Jim