Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 Question

I picked up this radio a few months ago in PA. Yesterday I finally got started on it and puled the chassis out for cleaning. I thought it was a code 121, because that is what the label said on the cabinet. The label was blue and silver and below the typical paper label I see on my other Philco's. I seem to remember that the blue labels were on the chassis, not the cabinets, but I am not sure.

Now that I have it where I can see it well, the chassis is stamped Code 125, which it is, as I can see from the chassis layout. Has anyone ever seen Philco do this? Or is it more likely that someone switched the chassis out some time ago. It is all original except for the E caps.

(04-07-2012, 09:27 AM)SteveJB Wrote:  I picked up this radio a few months ago in PA. Yesterday I finally got started on it and puled the chassis out for cleaning. I thought it was a code 121, because that is what the label said on the cabinet. The label was blue and silver and below the typical paper label I see on my other Philco's. I seem to remember that the blue labels were on the chassis, not the cabinets, but I am not sure.

Now that I have it where I can see it well, the chassis is stamped Code 125, which it is, as I can see from the chassis layout. Has anyone ever seen Philco do this? Or is it more likely that someone switched the chassis out some time ago. It is all original except for the E caps.

So Your the guy that outbid me!!!
I'm over it now, have two 37-116 which both have the blue sticker in the cabinet. I maybe wrong but I don't think there was a 121 version for the 38-116. My 37-116 code 121 has manual tuning and a SG. That was the last year for that set up, no more SG.
Terry

Oh yes, there was a 38-116 Code 121...it used the RF deck leftover from the 37-116/37-675/37-690 production.

The 38-116 Code 125 (as well as the 38-690 Code 125) use a different RF unit with fewer trimmers.

It could very well be that Philco put a few too many Code 121 labels on their cabinets. That is, they ran out of Code 121 chassis before they thought they would and began installing Code 125 chassis into cabinets that may have still had a Code 121 label. It wouldn't be the first time Philco made an error in labeling.

The blue labels you speak of were usually in the cabinets from 1937 on, but were still occasionally found on the chassis. Between 1935 and 1936 they were on the chassis. In 1934 and prior, they used gold labels placed on the chassis. And to make things more confusing, Philco continued to use gold labels through the 1936 season on sets such as the 60 and 89.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(04-08-2012, 06:37 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Oh yes, there was a 38-116 Code 121...it used the RF deck leftover from the 37-116/37-675/37-690 production.

The 38-116 Code 125 (as well as the 38-690 Code 125) use a different RF unit with fewer trimmers.

It could very well be that Philco put a few too many Code 121 labels on their cabinets. That is, they ran out of Code 121 chassis before they thought they would and began installing Code 125 chassis into cabinets that may have still had a Code 121 label. It wouldn't be the first time Philco made an error in labeling.

The blue labels you speak of were usually in the cabinets from 1937 on, but were still occasionally found on the chassis. Between 1935 and 1936 they were on the chassis. In 1934 and prior, they used gold labels placed on the chassis. And to make things more confusing, Philco continued to use gold labels through the 1936 season on sets such as the 60 and 89.

Thanks Ron. That makes sense as I have seen the blue labels on my older sets and have a 60 with the gold one.

The guy I bought this from had it in the basement for a long time. Fortunately there is very little rust and it cleaned up well yesterday. Hopefully the cabinet will finish well, it has a little water damage on the bottom. I notice that someone pulled a few of the tube bases to put a couple of metal tubes in. This must have been fairly common as I have another 38-116 which has several bases removed. My 38-690 also has one removed and a GT in its place.

Is there a good source for these bases? Thats the only thing lacking originality.

(04-08-2012, 07:33 PM)SteveJB Wrote:  
(04-08-2012, 06:37 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Oh yes, there was a 38-116 Code 121...it used the RF deck leftover from the 37-116/37-675/37-690 production.

Thanks Ron. That makes sense as I have seen the blue labels on my older sets and have a 60 with the gold one.

The guy I bought this from had it in the basement for a long time. Fortunately there is very little rust and it cleaned up well yesterday. Hopefully the cabinet will finish well, it has a little water damage on the bottom. I notice that someone pulled a few of the tube bases to put a couple of metal tubes in. This must have been fairly common as I have another 38-116 which has several bases removed. My 38-690 also has one removed and a GT in its place.

Is there a good source for these bases? That's the only thing lacking originality.

If you are referring to part that hold the tube shield on when using the GT type tubes I think you'll have to remove them from a parts set. These are specific to Philco sets as I can't think of any other sets that uses square shields.
Did that set come from Ambler Pa?
Terry

(04-08-2012, 09:35 PM)7estatdef Wrote:  
(04-08-2012, 07:33 PM)SteveJB Wrote:  

Is there a good source for these bases? That's the only thing lacking originality.

If you are referring to part that hold the tube shield on when using the GT type tubes I think you'll have to remove them from a parts set. These are specific to Philco sets as I can't think of any other sets that uses square shields.
Did that set come from Ambler Pa?
Terry

Hi Terry,

It came from Reading and was on CL. My friend lives about three miles from there and I had him run over and get it for me. The guy wanted 75 dollars for it. If I can get to Kutztown, I'll look for a parts set.

Thanks,
Steve