Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

wandering volume 38-116

Hi Fella's,
Just about done re-capping this 116 and I noticed that while playing it seems like the volume may drift up and down slightly while playing.
The tone seems to change slightly when it does this,kind of like it does when you have to do a fine adjustment on the tuning to get best signal.
Maybe antenna?
I have about a 100 ft wire strung up in my basement that I use for an antenna right now.It also seems to work better with a ground wire attached.
Is this model kind of sensitive to what type of antenna to use?
Or should I be looking at something else?
Thanks guy's
murf

(04-11-2012, 05:58 AM)murf Wrote:  Hi Fella's,
Just about done re-capping this 116 and I noticed that while playing it seems like the volume may drift up and down slightly while playing.
The tone seems to change slightly when it does this,kind of like it does when you have to do a fine adjustment on the tuning to get best signal.
Maybe antenna?
I have about a 100 ft wire strung up in my basement that I use for an antenna right now.It also seems to work better with a ground wire attached.
Thanks guy's
murf

Antennas otherwise known as ariels should be above ground level. A weak signal can fade in and out although more pronounced with short wave reception. You could also have a marginal tube in the front end so you might want to do some swapping if you have spares.

(04-11-2012, 10:03 AM)codefox1 Wrote:  
(04-11-2012, 05:58 AM)murf Wrote:  Hi Fella's,
Maybe antenna?
Thanks guy's
murf

Antennas otherwise known as ariels should be above ground level. A weak signal can fade in and out although more pronounced with short wave reception. You could also have a marginal tube in the front end so you might want to do some swapping if you have spares.

Thats my guess too.
I strung the wire in the winter months when it was cold outside.
Have to move it to the attic now and see if that works any better.
What kind of antenna did philco originally recommend for this radio?
Thanks
murf