Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 Dial Slips On Pulley-FIXED

The dial scale assembly on this Philco model 90 is driven by a small pulley that is spring loaded and has a slot in it. But I don't have to tell you that.

My dial scale assembly is riding in the slot but is very loose most of the length of travel. The dial scale assembly just slips. What causes the spring to keep pressure on the part of the dial scale assembly that rides in that groove? Is it adjustable somehow? There is no lubricant here and all parts have been cleaned thoroughly.

Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

Are the wire springs holding the shaft half of the tuning cap loose or maybe something between the shaft and tuning assy toward the rear causing it to not seat down far enough and be at a downward angle in the front?

The metal part of the dial scale frame that actually comes in contact with the pulley is very thin. Almost knife edge thin. This is where the pulley looses traction. It's qiute thicker at each end of the travel area. I've performed all of the adjustments that I thought might be adjustments (a slotted hole on the bracket where the dial lamp and pulley assy. are housed) so I applied pressure to this dial lamp/pulley bracket and tightened the screw.

So I took a 1/4" by about 3" long strip of duct tape and molded it around that knife edge. The dial scale works fine. But this isn't a permanent fix. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem and has a fix for it.

The springs that sit on the center shaft of the tuning condenser seem tight and the only thing done to this assembly was a good cleaning and some white grease at the friction points.

Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th