Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 Stuck At One Volume Level

Hi morzh,
Yes I can tune the radio and all stations are where they're supposed to be. Only one station (1260 AM) I'm right on top of the transmitter and it always comes in loud and clear. The others are out of Portland 35 miles away and over a small mountain range still come in but with this volume stuck in neutral they're faint.

I pulled the Det. Amp. and it stops playing.

Your last entry confused me a bit. "If you yank the det. and it "STOPS" playing... I'm sure you meant that if I yanked the Det. Amp. and it "KEPT" playing to proceed yanking? It stopped playing with the Det. Amp. out so I saw no need to proceed yanking tubes. Hope I was right.

Last night I found "NO CONNECTION" to one side of the 1st IF Compensating Condenser #11. The side that goes from the condenser to the 1st IF. Top cap wire was in place from the IF to the tube. So I made that connection but it made no difference in my current symptoms. Because of that I'm taking a fresh 11X17 schematic and going thru the whole radio again highlighting every circuit making sure it's right. I've done this 3 times. How did I miss it.Icon_redface

And I go by Pepper here because Johnny was already taken when I signed up. Call me what you will... Just not late for dinner.

Thanks morzh,
Pepper

"It's Nice To Be Nice To The Nice"
Major Frank Burns Mash 4077th

Pepper,

Whatr I meant was: If it stops playing after yanking, then PUT IT BACK first, then keep yanking to the left (towards the Antenna.)
I missed "put it back first". Without putting it back there will be no need yanking anything else, of course.

What I wanted to see if there is a tube to the left of teh Detamp that you can yank, and it would still play.

So, now: 1) Put DetAmp back (we know it stops playing when you pull it), and 2) yank the previous tube (det. Rectifier)

Does it still play?.

PS. This proverb in Russian sounds "You may call me a pot, just don't put me in the oven" Icon_smile

Oh morzh, I kind of figured that's what you meant. Why keep yanking without putting the first one back in. Wouldn't tell us anything. So I went off and proceeded as I thought you meant and guess what. You got me going in the right direction. I was headed east instead of west. Everyone, including myself was concentrating on the audio circuit. Nothing wrong in the audio circuit it was towards the front end.

The wire I found missing from #11 1st IF compensator? I found it. It was at the correct pin on the 1st IF transformer but the other end was connected to #39 compensating condenser with the 51K and 700pfd cap on it in the oscillator circuit. Made the correction and the darn thing sings like a bird.

I can only say thank you very much! Your help is very appreciated. Guess we can put this one to bed.

Thanks,
Pepper

Praised be the Lord. Icon_e_biggrin

(04-15-2012, 01:26 PM)morzh Wrote:  Praised be the Lord. Icon_e_biggrin

AMEN!
Johnny