Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116 schematic parts layout inaccuracies

I just emptied the bakelite caps in my chassis (5 of them) and when I went to the Riders docs I noticed that the pictorial of the chassis layout does not include two of them (they are in the RF deck, middle of the chassis), both .05 caps. The layout does show the .05 caps, but as paper caps. I haven't had time to check the wiring on the schematic yet.

Does this difference indicate that I may not have the correct schematic for this run? I can't tell what run this chassis is from the chassis markings however. I like to use the parts layout diagram to help positively id the resistors along with color marking when checking tolerance and replacing, so I do use the layout a lot when restoring along with the schematic. Thanks for helping me understand this better.

Steve

(04-13-2012, 06:56 AM)SteveJB Wrote:  I just emptied the bakelite caps in my chassis (5 of them) and when I went to the Riders docs I noticed that the pictorial of the chassis layout does not include two of them (they are in the RF deck, middle of the chassis), both .05 caps. The layout does show the .05 caps, but as paper caps. I haven't had time to check the wiring on the schematic yet.

Does this difference indicate that I may not have the correct schematic for this run? I can't tell what run this chassis is from the chassis markings however. I like to use the parts layout diagram to help positively id the resistors along with color marking when checking tolerance and replacing, so I do use the layout a lot when restoring along with the schematic. Thanks for helping me understand this better.

Steve

Working on my 38-116 radio now.I wonder what code number you have?
Mine is a code 121.Maybe you have a code 125?
I have only noticed 3 bakelite blocks on mine.
THe schematics and the bottom view of the chassis shows a .o5 and a .5 paper cap in the sub chassis on mine.
I am having a little difficult in reading the Philco schematics for this set.
More used to the schematics that give the actual layout of the chassis showing tube socket layout along with wiring diagram and all the caps and resistors.
murf

I have a code 125. I agree this is a change from earlier schematics and layouts, they are a little more detailed.

(04-13-2012, 07:53 AM)murf Wrote:  
(04-13-2012, 06:56 AM)SteveJB Wrote:  I just emptied the bakelite caps in my chassis (5 of them) and when I went to the Riders docs I noticed that the pictorial of the chassis layout does not include two of them (they are in the RF deck, middle of the chassis), both .05 caps. The layout does show the .05 caps, but as paper caps. I haven't had time to check the wiring on the schematic yet.

Steve

Working on my 38-116 radio now.I wonder what code number you have?
Mine is a code 121.Maybe you have a code 125?
I have only noticed 3 bakelite blocks on mine.
THe schematics and the bottom view of the chassis shows a .o5 and a .5 paper cap in the sub chassis on mine.
I am having a little difficult in reading the Philco schematics for this set.
More used to the schematics that give the actual layout of the chassis showing tube socket layout along with wiring diagram and all the caps and resistors.
murf