Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

coils 38-116

Have been busy working on my 38-116 code 121 replacing caps and resistors and noticed in the mid-section of the sub chassis a very fine hair like wire attached to a pin on the 6L7G tube in kind of unraveled condition.
Played with it for a while and realized that while wiggling,sound would cutout on the broadcast band.
Did what I could to carefully solder it to one leg of cap 14 that is attached to the same pin.
Works now,but I don't like the way it looks.
I suppose in order to fix it properly,I would have to remove sub-chassis and see which coil that coil wire goes to and see what the coil looks like.
I noticed that I have no sound on the 2nd band(1.5-4.8) but good reception on all the other bands.
Possible coil wire connection?
Acted the same on the broadcast band when that coil wire was disconnected.
Any suggestions?

You guy's were not kidding when you said this radio was not for beginers like me.
I just know enough to be dangerous,but I am learning more every day.
Appreciate the help from the pro's.
murf

(04-21-2012, 07:36 PM)murf Wrote:  Have been busy working on my 38-116 code 121 replacing caps and resistors and noticed in the mid-section of the sub chassis a very fine hair like wire attached to a pin on the 6L7G tube in kind of unraveled condition.
Played with it for a while and realized that while wiggling,sound would cutout on the broadcast band.
Did what I could to carefully solder it to one leg of cap 14 that is attached to the same pin.
I suppose in order to fix it properly,I would have to remove sub-chassis and see which coil that coil wire goes to and see what the coil looks like.
I noticed that I have no sound on the 2nd band(1.5-4.8) but good reception on all the other bands.
Any suggestions?

You guy's were not kidding when you said this radio was not for beginers like me.
murf

Ok, a lot has to be done to make this set safe and good for the next few decades. Of course the capacitors, just about all of them need to be updated, and probably most if not all of the carbon resistors. Observe proper dress of all replacements.

That being said, don't expect anything much to come up on the old "Police" band. Those frequencies are not used much anymore, although you might get a couple of hetrodynes there or who knows tones for water pumps, or whatever.

(04-21-2012, 08:27 PM)codefox1 Wrote:  
(04-21-2012, 07:36 PM)murf Wrote:  Have been busy working on my 38-116 code 121 replacing caps and resistors and noticed in the mid-section of the sub chassis a very fine hair like wire attached to a pin on the 6L7G tube in kind of unraveled condition.
Any suggestions?

murf

Ok, a lot has to be done to make this set safe and good for the next few decades. Of course the capacitors, just about all of them need to be updated, and probably most if not all of the carbon resistors. Observe proper dress of all replacements.

That being said, don't expect anything much to come up on the old "Police" band. Those frequencies are not used much anymore, although you might get a couple of hetrodynes there or who knows tones for water pumps, or whatever.

Your right.
Have done all but about 5 caps,and am replacing most resistors as we speak.
I realize there is nothing broadcast on that band,but I am not even getting static.No difference on the volume,tone etc.
Mainly wondering about those very fine coil wires.They are about the size of a hair.
Thanks