Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transformer Tube Socket

I am working on a 37-660 with the rectifier tube mounted on the transformer. The pins do not always make good contact in the socket on the 5X4 and would like to know how one can get to the underside to see if they can be tighten up a bit. The tube goes in the socket real easy.

Seems like I saw something on this topic a while back but haven't located it. As I remember it was said that the wiring on the socket is very brittle and can be a bother but I need to do something with this as the tube does not get filament voltage at times. I don't think it is the tube. Checks good on tester and ohmeter.

marv

(04-22-2012, 02:38 PM)marv Wrote:  I am working on a 37-660 with the rectifier tube mounted on the transformer. The pins do not always make good contact in the socket on the 5X4 and would like to know how one can get to the underside to see if they can be tighten up a bit. The tube goes in the socket real easy.

Seems like I saw something on this topic a while back but haven't located it. As I remember it was said that the wiring on the socket is very brittle and can be a bother but I need to do something with this as the tube does not get filament voltage at times. I don't think it is the tube. Checks good on tester and ohmeter.

marv

I remember this thread, but can't find it. I don't think tube is at fault either. Seems to me a possible fix is to clean out the socket as best you can with deoxit, turn the thing upside down overnight, and then use a dental pick to retention the socket by bending the leaves in a little bit. Alternative is to drill out the rivets, remove bell, wire in a new socket, then ? gotta get creative on this one unless you have plenty of altitude. Diodes also a possibility, then some hack work in the set to tame the increased voltage. So long as the windings are good and you get polarity correct, this might be the least stressfull solution to the set, and perhaps you as well.

1001 other ways to do it as well.

(04-22-2012, 02:38 PM)marv Wrote:  I am working on a 37-660 with the rectifier tube mounted on the transformer. The pins do not always make good contact in the socket on the 5X4 and would like to know how one can get to the underside to see if they can be tighten up a bit. The tube goes in the socket real easy.

marv

There is a cap that fits over top of the rectifier socket, if you can figure out how to remove that then you can access the contacts, at least partially, and try pinching the contacts a little tighter.
Regards
Arran

Was able to get the cap off and pinch the contacts(carefully). Works fine now. Thanks.