Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-690 Power Supply Chassis Rebuild

Wanted to show you guys the before and after.
Replaced all resistors and restuffed all caps Icon_angel
More to come Icon_crazy

camman
Edit: I used beeswax and filled each end of all wax caps.
Top of chassis added

(05-08-2012, 10:10 AM)camman Wrote:  Wanted to show you guys the before and after.
Replaced all resistors and restuffed all caps Icon_angel
More to come Icon_crazy

camman

Please put a dated note in the set stating what you have done and when, nd shae your secret for replicating the grunge on the restuffed caps.

Looks the same! Great job!!
Terry

Is there a difference? Should there be any? If the purpose were to make all that's been done barely noticeable, I command you for that Icon_smile

If you re-stuffed the paper caps, great job, but then a picture at an angle to show that they have been re-stuffed would help; otherwise there is nothing I personally can tell that was done to this chassis.

"Find 10 discrepancies" for kids comes to mind Icon_biggrin

Nice job!
I don't mean to nitpick, but I do see one discrepancy - the modern blue resistors Icon_e_wink
Once, I molded a few replica "dogbones" using this technique: http://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/replica...stors.html
It was an interesting little project, but time consuming for sure.
I wonder if the technique could be adapted to these later cylindrical style resistors ?

I think if the power rating is not very critical, and also considering that many of today's resistors are of smaller sizes than those being replaced, in some cases it may be possible to axially drill through the old dog-bone and put the new one inside.

I should try that sometime.

Quote:Nice job! I don't mean to nitpick, but I do see one discrepancy - the modern blue resistors
Bandersen,
Thanks for the complement!
No dog bone style resistors in this model.
I could have used the same style carbon composition resistors.
C.C. is old technology (get noisy, moisture susceptible ect.) and not the long term reliability as carbon or metal film.
That is the best excuse I can come up with. Icon_yawn
camman

Sure, I use metal film / oxide when replacing too. I was just wondering if anyone had tried replicating the late 30s style resistors. I might give it a try in some upcoming projects.