Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

A Philco 16B followed me home.

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q500...o16001.jpg
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q500...o16003.jpg
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q500...o16002.jpg
Hi to all. I hope everyone is having a great Memorial Day weekend! I just wanted to share some pics of a Philco 16b I picked up on Craigslist in my area yesterday. I'm really happy, I've wanted a 16b in this style cabinet for a long timeIcon_thumbup. Apart from a lousy refinish job, the set appears to be in very good condition. the chassis is rust free and appears to be all original, although I haven't had a chance to look underneath it yet. Also the original grille cloth is still in decent shape!
I just have two questions. 1. The knobs don't appear to be correct. the bottom ones appear to be the tuning knobs for a cathedral model and the tuning knob looks to be from a 1936/37 style. The correct knobs for this style cabinet are the black hexagonal ones, right? And 2. there is an on/off toggle switch mounted on the right side of the cabinet. it appears to be original and there is a circular recess in the cabinet for the switch, but I wasn't aware that Philco ever used this set up, so, is it correct? As always, any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Kevin

The knobs are all incorrect. The switch on the side is a "bass compensation" switch. When working right they add some oomph to an already great sounding set.

Nice find! Your radio originally came with the "hex" style knobs. When restored they are an incredible performing radio Icon_biggrin

One of the few radios still on my want-to-get-one list. I had bought a nice one at Radio fest in 2010 but then sold it to a fellow from Michigan the event. I made $25 on the deal and should have kept the 16B instead.

Nice Grab Kevin,

Isn't this the later version 4-band chassis?

If so, like mine, it has a 2-piece knob "planetary" coarse & fine tuning shaft, doesn't it?Icon_confused

I know that "peak top" 16B tombstones came with hex style knobs though.

With Ron & Tom's blessingIcon_smile my "orphan" 4-band 16B chassis now sits in a ol' decrepit Cat cabinet (for awhile) & now I have to get both Hex tuning knobs from Ed, for both 5-band & 4-band chassises.

BTW Tom, saw the pics of your 16B Cat 4-bander that you posted in my "Dial scale part #" topic. It Looks Nice even with the Hex knob style.

Again Thanks guys for the help you have given me, in my 16B inquiries,
Lloyd

Feeling foolish, just last minutes when asking. Never asking, being foolish last forever.

It is indeed the later 4 band model, and it does have the course and fine tuning shaft. I'm learning more about the two variants, evidently the 5 band version has a slightly different cabinet with a flatter peak and a different style tuning assembly. Fortunately, I have extra hex style knobs lying around I can use, but I will have to get the correct tuning knobs. I see that Renovated Radios has repro's of them.
Kevin

My 16B tombstone (non-shouldered) has the same knobs on the three lower controls that is on the "fine" adjust portion of the dual drive control. From what I have seen, some had the "acorn" knobs on the three lower controls, while others had those like my set has.

I acquired a 16B a few years back. It's one of my favorites. If I could figure out how to attach its picture I would. Good luck with yours. Guess you could email me if you want and I'll send a photo to you.
Art

oooops. My 16B is in another thread down below by moneyrad.