Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-145 speaker hole

Just got this one in the mail and was wondering how do I fix about a quarter size piece of speaker cone that is missing? Other than that the radio looks good. I just started the recap on it.

What is the best material to try and patch it and what is the best kind of glue or cement? How difficult is this to do?

thanks
Chris

It's an easy repair. I harvest a patch from an unused tea bag. Make sure it's large enough to cover the hole plus at least 1/2" all the way around. GENTLY spread some flexible fabric glue around the hole, apply the patch & gently brush more glue over the patch. If you can get to the back side of the cone, repeat the process on the back. Be very careful, the old paper on speakers can be extremely delicate & can tear easily, especially when wet with glue.

Dave,
Thanks for the tip. never thought of using a tea bag! Will give it a try.

Chris

I always used something like a good quality of bond paper to patch holes in speakers, a tea bag may be good to re-enforce a tear after gluing but it's pretty thin to cover a hole. Also remember, do not use silicone inspite of what you may have heard, silicone is for the bathtub not speaker repair.
Regards
Arran

Over the years I've seen a lot different things used. Mostly bad stuff! Duck tape, news paper and white glue, masking tape, and Scotch #33 tape (black electrical tape) One guy insisted on using RTV silicone. If I sat down a thought for a few hours I couldn't think of much worst to use. I was more of a rubber cement kind of a guy but with these new glues and such it opens the doors for much better repairs
Terry

Best is a little left over from the last time you bought a surround kit and didn't use it all up. I think it's similar to fabric glue, but I'm not a chemist. Reckon Somewhere between Elmer's and Rubber Cement.

Best is a little left over from the last time you bought a surround kit and didn't use it all up. I think it's similar to fabric glue, but I'm not a chemist. Reckon Somewhere between Elmer's and Rubber Cement.