Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Just bought a Zenith Walton.

This radio has been nicely restored and plays well, but does have a few issues that I need to target. The tuning dial is a bit sloppy and the controls such as the volume are very stiff, though no crackle or audible issues at all, so tuner lube these or bad idea? Also, how do you get the lube into the volume control? Appears to be sealed.

Attached Files Image(s)

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Was going to put up some more, but can't seem to do it.

Nice radio. Hope the issues with it aren't hard to correct.

Mike

If there is no hole in the pot, then if yo really think it needs a lube, you will have to open it.
As for me, I only open pots with real issues.

Typically I'd agree, but I'm afraid if breaking those wooden knobs on there! One of them is that stiff.

Bill Turner sells a gizmo to get lube/cleaner into sealed pots:

http://www.dialcover.com/components.html

Quote:CONTACT CLEANER ADAPTER - This is a custom-made device that can be screwed onto the front bushing of a sealed pot to inject contact cleaner - $8.00

Here's the only problem; Bill has no e-mail so you have to either call him or just trust him and send a check, cash, or money order. A friend runs his webpage for him. It is a pretty simple but neat gadget to force cleaner/lube into a sealed pot. I had an old electronics instructor who called it a "ga-zin-ta" but I could never find one until I ordered one from Bill.

Nice radio, is that a 7-S-232? I have one I've had for ages that I've never finished, it just lacks a couple more coats of lacquer. I have a 9 tube chassis I was going to put in it but I've changed my mind and decided to keep it original. I have 9 and 12 tube '38 consoles if I want to play with the motor drive (which I do like to do Icon_wink )

If your tuning is sloppy because of a loose belt I recommend you buy replacements from Adams:

http://adamsradio.com/page1.html

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Nice find! Which model is it?

Eliot Ness Wrote:I had an old electronics instructor who called it a "ga-zin-ta" but I could never find one until I ordered one from Bill.
As a kid in the early 1970s before we moved to Kentucky, I became interested in electronics and would get catalogs from Burstein-Applebee and McGee Radio, both wholesale electronics distributors in Kansas City, MO. McGee had such a contraption in their catalog, called a "Gozinta." Never actually saw one, though - I only remember the illustration in the McGee catalog.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:.....wholesale electronics distributors in Kansas City, MO. McGee had such a contraption in their catalog, called a "Gozinta." Never actually saw one, though - I only remember the illustration in the McGee catalog.
You're probably correct on that spelling, I was just trying to type it like it sounded. I think the instructor had one, but I've never seen one for sale until I bought the homemade version that Bill Turner sells.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

It's Goesinza. and Gousoutza and refers to transformers. Learned from Mr. John VanEssen who was older than dirt when I was a kid, an believe me that was a long time ago.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-12-S-232-...3f18954893

Are they really THIS sought after? Look at the bidding frenzy....and it is not even restored .

Quote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-12-S-232-...3f18954893

Are they really THIS sought after? Look at the bidding frenzy....and it is not even restored .

I think that there may be a little auction fever (or shill bidding) going on with this particular example given the condition, but yes they do tend to fetch prices completely out of touch with what they should be. These sets tend to have a cult following because there wasn an example featured prominently in a 1970s TV show called the Waltons. In reality a set like the Philco 38-665 was a better performer, and better looking too in my opinion.
Regards
Arran