Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

D-10 phonograph problems

I know that this phorum is "Electronic Restoration" so I hope my mechanical problems are welcome here.

I'm working on a 48-1263 radio/phono and have the phono working quite well with a new cartridge and all cleaned and freshly oiled. But, I have a couple of mechanical problems that still have me stumped.

The racheting teeth mechanism in the trip function seems to need a spring with incredibly small tension. Any tension at all and it stops the tone arm movement. I've seen reference to this problem, but what have others used there? If I disconnect the spring all works fine except I’ve sacrificed the trip mechanism.

I have 10 inch records to play and the tone arm was dropping in location for 12 inch records. I found that by removing the arm that controls the record drop mechanism the arm dropped in the proper 10 inch position since now the arm controlling the tone arm drop position was able to travel fully to the little adjustable brass cam that fine tunes the drop position. The arm controlling the record drop mechanism has a sliding pin that was holding back the tone arm drop arm from reaching the little brass cam. Whew, I hope that there’s some clarity in that.

I would sure appreciate any wisdom that you could send my way. I got a new cartridge from everythingradio.com, it installed great and the player is working great with fantastic sound quality, except for the two mechanical problems.

Thanks,
Alan