Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 16 Tone Control

Well, the 16 is humming along rather nicely. Sound is sometimes a little mushy, like just a bit of sandpaper on the edges of words. Minimized with careful tuning. I've tried substituting a new speaker and that helps somewhat, don't know if the old one should be re-coned. Or is this just normal? It's not terrible, but we're so accustomed to digital sound -- hmm.

Question is: when I switch the tone control clockwise toward more bass there is a strong click at each position. Something wrong? Can this be eliminated?

Thanks!!

David Sligar

David, did you replace the caps in the tone switch? Also, might try some contact clean in the switch assembly. Does it change the tone of the radio as you move the switch?
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

These were the only caps I didn't replace -- hmmm. I did use contact clean. The tone is correctly responsive as the switch position is changed. I was thinking of putting some (1 meg?) resistors across those caps. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks!

If it really bugs you try using a 1K resistor in series with each cap in the tone control switch.
Terry

Terry, might be a good idea but that is a little cramped inside that little box after you restuff new caps. I would try the cap replacement first. Have several of the radios that use that circuit and none of them make a pop when changing the tone control. Something is not right in there. Just my dumb opinion.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I did replace the caps. After trying out new ceramics, I changed the values to .0015, 0015, and 003. That seems to give a finer adjustment on the high end, and the two low positions weren't much different before.
Anyway, the pops are minimized, and only occur the first time after turning the set on.

Thanks, all. Another bunch of great suggestions!

David