Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dragged in another postwar Zenith.

A co-worker and friend of mine talked to me a few days ago and wondered if I wanted a Zenith conole radio he had gotten cheap at a junk auction. Said he had been listening to FM on it without much issue. I went to visit him today and found it to be a decent little radio-phono console from the early 50's. Has an 8H20 chassis in it with the variable speed phonograph that I find to be neat. A little cash later and it was coming home. Other than the odd dial light being burnt out and a dirty band switch, it seemed to work fine on the radio. I pulled the chassis to clean up the switches and get the worst of the dirt blown off, only to find the one oil ringer cap near the power switch was blown clear in half! So, it will be getting recapped in the future. Kind of a shame as it was working rather well in spite of the bad cap. Cabinet is good except the top. Back top veneer is messed up. It should be worth a few extra dollars to put the insides right. I'll get some pictures of it once it is back together.

No matter where you go, there you are.