Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Zenith 9-S-262 Restoration Chronicles

Geoff

One thing I did in mine was, and it may be kinda late for you to do, especially if you did discard the old capacitors, I drilled out every single one of them old caps, cleaned them, and inserted the new axial caps inside, potting them afterwards.

This adds to the authenticity - the big orange-colored caps totally overshadow the fact that the resistors are the newer types (I am not dedicated enough to do that painted ceramic cast on new resistors, using old resistors to create the molds).

I think it maybe took me a couple of hours overall, including soldering, to do all the caps. Yes it is the underbelly, but still.....

Also, for the future, when you have the old electrolytic like the one you had to cut (the aluminum type), it pays to cut it right under the top cap. There is a natural seam there, so if you cut it neat enough (and you still have good enough access to the innyrds when you gut it and replace the new caps), then when you glue it back with whatever (I use the same JB Weld) it is not really noticeable unless you really look, so no aluminum tape wrap is needed.

Messages In This Thread
Zenith 9-S-262 Restoration Chronicles - by Geoff - 06-27-2012, 11:56 PM
RE: Zenith 9-S-262 Restoration Chronicles - by morzh - 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM