Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can anyone identify this phono cartridge?

Here are a couple of shots of a cartridge/needle I'm currently using in a Garrard RC-80. I love it for playing early LP's and 78's and seems to work equally well with both. I'd like to find a new needle for it, if possible, as this cartridge is quite good sounding with a GE preamp I'm using. I've not measured the output, but assume it is a magnetic or variable reluctance type cartridge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looks like two initials or a logo on the back and it does look like the front part with needle is removeable, but I haven't tried thinking I might damage it. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
Harry

Attached Files Image(s)

Those cartridges are Pickering. They were made in Oceanside, Long Island, and were one of tjhe best pickups to be had.

The styli in them were non-replaceable, and had to be sent to the factory for replacement. It appears that you have one 3 mil head and possibly one 1 mil head. You shouldn't guess what you have.

Upon inspection, you might find that the sylus in each one is actually OK. I have a couple of Pickerings, but use them only on making tapes, or special playings. They are very good pickups.

Thanks much for your reply and info. So I assume, then, that they are early magnetic units. The styli do not protrude much from the body, so a very little amount of dirt/dust clogs things up. There is actually only one cartridge with two different pictures. I thought maybe the needles were permanent. The early GE type in the Capeharts are also permanent soldered in place. Handle with care.