Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fm problems

[/b][/u]I'm another newbie, with a dilemma. I guess I know just enough to be dangerous. The problem is; no Fm reception. I'm working on a Philco 53-956. I've replaced all the paper capacitors that I can see. I've also replaced the multi-section can capacitor. The AM sounds good and strong, but when I switch to Fm...nothing. I gently cleaned the wafer switch connections and even attached an external antenna to the two screw connections on the back. But still no joy. Can someone provide a few basic trouble shooting steps to resolve this problem? I just started learning, so any suggestions would be appretiaited.

Don't know exactly how you cleaned the bandswitch, I like deoxit 5, switch back and forth several times and let it dry overnight You can poke about with a chopstick to see if there is still a problem.

Be careful this set is a shock hazard. Best use an isolation transformer.

Of course a FM alignment will help isolate the point of failure.

Instructions etc... here

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013785.pdf

Thanks for the safety tip Codefox. I used a tiny spiral nylon brush to clean the wafer switch with contact cleaner. This is the second time I've heard Deoxit recommended. I'm going to reakdown and order some. An isolation transformer is next on my list of equipment to purchase. I have a feeling I will need one as I get deeper onto this sport.