Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Majestic 71

Well, I have been yacking about Majestics in the bar and grille, so here is a picture of one of two I picked up this evening. It is the model 71 and I am currently listening to it as I type. Somehow the wireing harnesses are still working, but I have to treat them and the speaker with very gentle hands. At 1:30am this morning (Sunday) it died on my friend's work bench. Turned out one of the power transformers smoked itself. Guess there are two transformers in that power supply. Luckily, he was able to adapt another transformer in there and rigged up a rather odd, but ingenious way to bring the voltages down from the over high voltage the power companies send to us. Only one more thing it needs and only when I feel brave enough to undo those wire harnesses again. Got the radio together and the dial cord broke! Right now I am tuning it by gently nudging the dial scale with my thumb. That's the second time it's snapped the dial cord and it always snarls up!

No matter where you go, there you are.

I looked up the schematic for the Majestic model 71 and the two power supplies shown only have one power transformer, they do however have two filter chokes. Perhaps one of the filter chokes opened up and that was what was meant by a transformer. It's extermely doubtful that you could find a replacement power transformer on short notice, this set uses at least three filament voltages since it uses four #26s, a #27, and a pair of #71As, not including the filament winding for the rectifier tube.
Regards
Arran

Doesn't that power supply have a ballast? I think that the input voltage is 80V. You can use a light bulb to drop yout line voltage as well.

Yes the power supply does have a ballast. The guy also rigged a 75 watt bulb for one part of the voltages and something like a 250 watt bulb for the other part. Works well too. Keeps the voltages at or just below their ratings even with the crazy voltages and surges AEP sends our way all the time.

No matter where you go, there you are.