Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 80jr alignment procedure.

Can anyone point me to 80jr alignment procedure? Especially the regent part?
I also have some motor boating when the radio is warming up. Would like to make it clean.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013843.pdf
See last page. Try turning the sensitivity control to the left a little.
Terry

Hey Terry, thanks, I have this one and I thought there might be some "in-depth" procedure with explanations outside the Rider.

Specifically the motorboating bothers me though it only occurs for 1 sec during warmup.
Still, its presence is a testament to my ineptitude and so I, being my own harshest critic, keep calling myself names due to that.

Usually it is due to inadequate decoupling in multistage schematics, that allows radio and audio stages couple, as I remember from transistor radios, or leaky AC-coupling caps, or too high a value for grid leak resistors, but the radio is fully recapped and reresistorised.
Have to think.

The alignment on these 4 tube set is somewhat critical and will have drastic affect on the performance. Considering what they are they work pretty well when they're. all tuned up and in good working order. I would suspect that what you have isn't an alignment issue. Have you tried switching the #36 tubes around?
Terry
ps Still want to get together
sorry I dropped the ball on that.

Yes I bought the tested ones. Thn again, as you remember, I don't have a tube tester.
I've been busy lately hunting down one. I have for radios, all working, with untested toobs. Time to shell out some dough, bite the boollit, and get something decent.
I don't want to do too much messing aound before I make sure the tubes are OK.

Tell us what you need, many of us have more than enough and will share/contribute . Just might take a day or two for us top dig through the ruins to find.

Thanks guys, appreciate the offer.
I've just bought Hickok 600A, supposedly calibrated.
As soon as it arrives, provided it is intact, I will test the tubes and then I wiil know what I am up against.

You could try hook a jumper from the grid cap to the chassis to see which stage it is.
Terry

I think I know which one it is Icon_smile. After all, in Jr there are only so many of those that can do that.

Also check rivets that are used for ground connections.
Terry

Hey guys,

I am bat at Philco jr, doing alignment.

Two questions:

1. Different schematics in the Rider show two different IFs, 450Kc and 460kc.
The alignment procedure at the end says "460".
Which one is it?

Well, I seem to answer the second question myself so I've deleted it.
I need that plastic socket for the nut.

Go with 460kc. A cheap plastic pen with the inwards removed, heat the end with a heat gun and then push it over the adj nut.
Terry

I did go with 460kHz.

It works better than it did before - before I got only one local station, now I have three more, which is about the same that my Zenith receives with the same antenna.

Oh, and I did defeat the motorboating.
I looked through, saw nothing really that could do that as all I needed to replace I did, so once I adjusted the IF and the scale, I just did regen. sensitivity adjust, and the motorboating disappeared (although it only was there for 2 sec. during power-up). I guess it was the regen all the time.