Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starting on Philco 111 More Questions & Pics

No, it doesn't! Icon_rolleyes It says I no longer offer radio repair services. Which means that I no longer do complete radio restorations or repairs for others - I only offer my Philco coil rewinding service, nothing more.

Yep, these days, the only radios I want to work on are my own. And I have plenty waiting for me...

Anyway...shoot me a PM, or an email. I can probably fix you up. I might even have a spare, if I can't fix yours.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

PM sent to you Ron.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

For those who might be interested, here is a photo of the 112 label restored by Gary Rabbit with help from my friend Jim D. Would like to know what the 111 wattage is so I can change the model # and make certain the amperage is correct. By the way, I thought the 112 was 120 watts but guess my memory is failing
Thanks Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...beljpg.jpg]

OK, hooked up with Ron for the coil. Are you certain no one out there in Philco land can tell me what the wattage value on a 111 is? Also, what the label on the top of the tube shield might have looked like? Come on 111 owners, please.

Jerry

The wattage is the same as the early 112 - 105 watts.

The sticker on top of the tube shield was the tube layout sticker, which was placed inside the cabinet on Philco sets made from 1932 onward. I think I have one somewhere, but I just arrived home from a long and fast weekend trip. I'm tired...and don't know where to look for it right now.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks so much for the information Ron. I can proceed on the back label to make a new one. I would be really pleased if you could forward a nice picture of the top label. Would just put finishing touches on the the back of the chassis.
Jerry

Ron, thanks for the info, here is the label for the 111, hope it looks accurate, it was modified slightly from the 112 above. I don't know if there is an archive for things like this on the Phorum but others might like access.
Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...label9.jpg]

Can you tell the 111 was change to 112? Thanks to my friend Jim D. who knows how to work graphic programs which I don't.

jerryhawthorne Wrote:I don't know if there is an archive for things like this on the Phorum but others might like access.

Go to the Phorum home page and start scrolling down, on past the usual Phorum sections, past the "Important Restoration Topics" section, until you get to "Useful Philco Downloads" and its forum, "Philco Downloadable Files." Feel free to add anything useful for download there.

Here's the link:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/forumd...php?fid=25

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh, by the way, regarding the label - Perfect! Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

The two labels are posted on the suggested location. Hope many can make use of them. Phlog, are you out there?
Jerry

OK, shipped the detector coil off and still thinking about the "static crash". Not certain that that may have been the coil, but what would I know? Looking in the area, between the RF and 1st detector, there are only a couple of silver mica caps in the oscillator circuit. No others in the area of suspected lightening. There are also a couple of mica compression caps that are sealed. For example the one shown on the above picture of the detector coil. Am I correct in assuming (you know what that means) that these should not be a source of the problem? I would like to order the silver micas as a preventative measure.
If the weather improves, time to put the last finishing touches on the top of the cabinet with a couple of light coats of satin lacquer.
Jerry

I think that you will be pleased with your 111's performance when you get it finished!

Thanks TA. Any input on the "crash" aspect? I suspect the "mica" caps that are compression and sealed for non adjustment are not going to cause the problem. There are a few of them as shown on the bottom of the problem coil. Not certain the coil was causing the noise problem but certainly should help in the reception. There are only two of the mica standard type caps in the area of the RF, OSC and 1st detector area. Both in is osc circuit. Perhaps this crash type thing took out the detector coil? Certainly does not look like it went green. Guess I will just order them from Mouser as a safety measure. Any inputs from the experts are appreciated.
Jerry

Run the "crash aspect" by me one more time.

TA, if you cruise up a little on the thread, you can see it on the scope. Also a little of my diagnosis of location by shorting out control grids of the RF amp and the 1st detector. It is coming somewhere in between those tubes. Oscillator is in the area as well. I show a picture of it as well on my scope. As indicated, there are only two "mica" sealed caps in the area, both in the oscillator section. There are a few more pf value caps in the area as well and are listed as "compensator caps". Basically compression mica trimmers with the adjustments sealed. One is shown on the bottom of the detector coil I sent off to Ron in pictures on this thread.
The noise is hard for me to hear but can really see it on the scope, what I hear is basically distortion on a station playing. Off station or with the antenna shorted out, yep, loud popping static. What people with good hearing hear is enough for them to cover their ears. Never had a radio with SMD as I don't work on anything that new, but from what people describe I would guess it sounds like that.
Of course, maybe it was coming from the detector transformer arcing. Won't know till I get it back from Ron and see what happens. Just trying to think ahead.
Thanks for looking and ideas. Jerry