Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A 3 hour chore

I wish that I could say that this cap box re-stuffing made a big difference to justify the effort, but my 95 deluxe highboy still sounded goodIcon_eekIcon_crazy. If you're interested, I used the method of detaching the box from the chassis and then reaching in with wire cutters and snipping all of the wires. This is easier said than done, but the results are worth it. The wires and resistors underneath the chassis stay put. This went so well, maybe I could make these and sell them?Icon_rolleyes

[Image: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z309/...ile-45.jpg]

Crispty critters. Great save.

Yes. but at least it will sound good longer.

"A 3 hour chore"........?

There's a song in there somewhere......

Maybe take the "Gilligan's Island" theme and replace "three hour tour" with "3 hour chore?"

"Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a well-spent day
That kept a Philco 95
From being thrown away..."

HA!!! Perfect !!!!!!!Icon_lol

"The tech was a sold Philco fan,
Both table-top and floor
He started out with confidence
on a three-hour-chore..."

(Anyone else wanna run with this? Icon_lol )

Great job DK but dang, what a mess of tar! From the look of the pieces I would guess you had to chip the thing out. Well done. Mine as well but also, no change in how my 111 works ( poorly) but at least in didn't get worse. On to the rest of the chassis.
Good luck. Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The winds started running rough,
The might dipole was tossed.
If not for the courage of the fearless op,
The Philco would be lost.

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Jerry, it should work very well when you are done. Get all of those Grey/ yellow and grey resistors changed out and the rest of the caps.

Ha ha ha ha ha!! Looks like the beginning of a band! Icon_lolIcon_thumbupIcon_wink

Providing my arthritis and spasms cooperate, I can do guitar/bass work!

Yeh, recarbonate, or recarbonize, whichever you prefer whilst recapping. C'mon it's mine.